AuthorTopic: GR#187 - Megaman Sprite - Shading, Saturation  (Read 14419 times)

Offline Jhentoaduo

• View Profile

Re: New to Pixel art (3 months?) C+C Needed

Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 02:09:14 pm
I wasn't totally positive if I was supposed to just make the outline contrast more, or the main colors too, so I did a bit of both

or

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 02:16:10 pm
I would say that more contrast on the blue parts would be an improvement. The same goes for the face.

If you've read any pixel art tutorials about 'jaggies', you should watch out for those as well.  :)

Offline Jhentoaduo

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 02:21:45 pm
Alright, thanks.

Jaggies have become a plague upon my household, I can't seem to be rid of them.

Offline Jhentoaduo

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 02:59:15 pm
Still need to work on watching out for jaggies, because I can't seem to be able to fix any that I find in any of my work, BUT I did a bit more with the color contrast.

I definitely need to get better at color picking, too.

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 03:44:42 pm
Ah, I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear. I wasn't saying you needed more contrast between the cyan and the blue. Right now, you have a lot more saturation, which is cool, but more a matter of taste than necessity.

When I suggested you needed more contrast, I meant that you need more contrast between the bright bits and the dark bits. It's a bit better now, but you could take it a lot further. And if the blue metal is supposed to be shiny, you could really go crazy with highlights :) You may also look at color theory and read about how shadows tend to have 'colder' colours, while highlights tend to have slightly 'warmer' colours. Of course, in this case, it would be different shades of blue.

Face looks better though.

Offline Jhentoaduo

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 18, 2014, 06:12:06 pm
Like so?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 06:24:56 pm by Jhentoaduo »

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 07:01:40 pm
I simply must say something about that Deathstroke animation.

First thing that makes me want to  :'( is different length of his arms.

Second, you have some redundant frames in your animation, the same effect you can achieve with only 6 frames.

Third, Deathstroke is cool guy

by making him slim like stick man you stole his charm. Even if you are scared that you can't draw it as good as you want, at least try. By taking the easier safe way you won't learn much.

Forth, you are using 20 colors here, but we can only see 3 or 4 of them, that's because you are using too much similar colors, and they don't contribute to your image. Use comments you received for Mega Man color and learn from them.

And final, as I said don't be afraid to make a mistake. If you try hard, you will definitely progress. Good luck.  :)

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 07:24:33 pm
that method of putting images into grayscale isnt a very good indicator of the actual contrast of the colors, shown here:
Thanks for posting this. It seems to be a very common mistake.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 07:31:16 pm by jams0988 »

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 10:51:17 pm
Some thoughts:

Your shading and colors aren't too bad, but your contrast seems a little extreme for the number of colors you're attempting to use to define the forms and volume you appear to be going for.

The key to removing 'jaggies' is learning to draw 'curves' with pixels, pixel by pixel, instead of dragging the mouse to draw curves. Try this next time. The better you get at these kinds of curves, the better your art will look construction-wise.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline Jhentoaduo

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: May 21, 2014, 02:37:51 am
Ohhhhh, okay. Definitely understand a lot more now, thanks. Any tips on how to shade round objects better than I have been?