AuthorTopic: [WIP][C&C] General pixel-art  (Read 42851 times)

Offline Night

• exidelo
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/26118.htm
    • Exidelo
    • View Profile
Looking much better! Can't quite understand the 3/4 view aspect you want to give to it though; it doesn't work mainly because of the feet, but I also feel that going with a 3/4 view will overcomplicate things, care to elaborate?
There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Offline AshCrimson

• View Profile
I think it looks more interesting than a straight-on aspect (which i fear would look boring to me at least), but also because previous works and attempts were in a 3/4's view, as well as my goal is to eventually animate or at the very least depict characters in said aspect. There's also an element of me probably just being stubborn, but i will give it a go, as it sounds helpful in helping me learn/practice anatomy.

Offline jtfjtfjtf

• View Profile
Don't worry about the limbs being thin. In the mannikin frame they're simplified versions of the bones. The cape is a simplified version of the upper body muscles over the rib cage. Loomis' methodology is pretty logical building the parts up.

Offline AshCrimson

• View Profile
Wanted to post a quick update, just to see whether i am on the right track:

Offline Night

• exidelo
    • Exidelo
    • View Profile
If you want it to be a little easier I'd suggest going with a normal view.
But if you do choose to go with 3/4 still, then you'll have to make quite some changes in regards to how literally everything looks like in the figure (see what I mean in the edit in the middle).

There are lots of problems with the basic skeletal structure currently, not so much with the muscles even.

The reason I gave those books earlier as a suggestion has a lot to do with their halfway-through illustrations of the muscles and skeleton and skeleton alone; I think that learning the skeletal structure is a very important step to take early on in learning anatomy (which I'm a bit faulty of not doing myself, kind of explains some of my downfalls in anatomy, particularly on the hands and feet) as it gives you a better understanding of everything in the body and how it looks, and then start studying where from and what the muscles attach to (doesn't need to take long, just study the basic form of the skeleton and begin with the muscles). Kind of a process from the simple to the complex in a sense.

Here's an edit, on the far right I just drew the skeleton with some muscle groups attached, so you can contrast with yours (it isn't 3/4 view tho)

Also not sure if the picture's resolution is the one you work on, but if it is you should expand it. Will give it some more breathing space and it won't feel as restricted.

Offline AshCrimson

• View Profile
Thanks for the advice, i'll try the front on-view and if i can get that down then go onto the 3/4 view. I'll concentrate on getting the basic skeletal structure down before going into muscles. In regards to the dimension, i do work in small dimensions, im not quite brave enough to go bigger yet.

Apologies for the frustration!

Offline Night

• exidelo
    • Exidelo
    • View Profile
You're welcome! Sounds good, by the dimensions I just meant the canvas size, not the figure itself; just feels restricted the way it is now, with the figure touching the borders of the canvas.

No problem at all.  :D

Offline AshCrimson

• View Profile
You're welcome! Sounds good, by the dimensions I just meant the canvas size, not the figure itself; just feels restricted the way it is now, with the figure touching the borders of the canvas.

No problem at all.  :D

No problem! Main reason for the small dimensions is because i usually work with one big canvas on various stuff, practices etc. It's more viewable if i cut it down to a smaller, individual piece.

Wanted to get the basic shape down before i went fully into doing the muscles. It's based upon Loomis' simplified manikin (page 44, top box, left) didn't bother much with the arms or legs, main concern right now is getting the torso, chest and hips/pelvis down.

Apologies if im posting too much or if the improvements/updates are only incremental.

Offline Night

• exidelo
    • Exidelo
    • View Profile
Ah alright I see.
What Loomis' illustrates as sort of.. an Egyptian collar if you will is actually two muscle groups, sort of, but cut-off in the delts (not quite sure why he cut it there).

In any case, the pecs (chest muscles) should be lowered down, they look a little too squished in there and don't appear to have an origin point.
The rib cage should be slightly narrower and straighter, if you look at a real skeleton you can see what I mean (it actually goes slightly outwards toward the end even, sort of like this: /  \).
The part where the shoulders are I think you should create with full delts, not cut-off ones like in Loomis' illustrations (like I mentioned already).
The traps (muscles behind the neck that attach to the scapulas) should be a little more separated and distinct.

Here are a few fancy sketches I drew right now (it mainly has to do with muscles, so you can leave it for later):

With the pecs there are mainly just two heads, the clavicular and sternal (there's also a "coastal" head if you want to call it that which attaches to the rib cage, but it's not really important since you never see it; and there are I think another two muscles under the pec, but they're also kind of unimportant).
I also created a small image showing how it looks like when the arm is raised, as you can see the clavicular pec becomes much more pronounced (just wanted to include this for future reference).

With the traps there's not a lot to say, just wanted to show how they're connected. Same with the delts.

Hope this was of some help!  ;D

edit*
I just realised what you meant by 3/4 view; I for some reason had this in my mind that 3/4 is only like bird view in games, if you want to make it 3/4 it's absolutely fine. my bad  :ouch:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 01:31:28 am by Night »

Offline AshCrimson

• View Profile
Ah alright I see.
What Loomis' illustrates as sort of.. an Egyptian collar if you will is actually two muscle groups, sort of, but cut-off in the delts (not quite sure why he cut it there).

In any case, the pecs (chest muscles) should be lowered down, they look a little too squished in there and don't appear to have an origin point.
The rib cage should be slightly narrower and straighter, if you look at a real skeleton you can see what I mean (it actually goes slightly outwards toward the end even, sort of like this: /  \).
The part where the shoulders are I think you should create with full delts, not cut-off ones like in Loomis' illustrations (like I mentioned already).
The traps (muscles behind the neck that attach to the scapulas) should be a little more separated and distinct.

Here are a few fancy sketches I drew right now (it mainly has to do with muscles, so you can leave it for later):

With the pecs there are mainly just two heads, the clavicular and sternal (there's also a "coastal" head if you want to call it that which attaches to the rib cage, but it's not really important since you never see it; and there are I think another two muscles under the pec, but they're also kind of unimportant).
I also created a small image showing how it looks like when the arm is raised, as you can see the clavicular pec becomes much more pronounced (just wanted to include this for future reference).

With the traps there's not a lot to say, just wanted to show how they're connected. Same with the delts.

Hope this was of some help!  ;D

edit*
I just realised what you meant by 3/4 view; I for some reason had this in my mind that 3/4 is only like bird view in games, if you want to make it 3/4 it's absolutely fine. my bad  :ouch:

Thanks again for the information, I've been consulting Loomis and the anatomy book i have as well as pictures of skeletons, in an attempt to aid me in getting the skeleton somewhere near being correct. I'm hoping it get it down and then use it as a basis to flesh out the muscles, if that makes any sense?

Here's an updated attempt so far, with the previous version for comparison:

I realise the number rib's don't both add up to 24, but i thought i might as well include them for completion's sake. I also tried to indicate the shoulder blades with green.