AuthorTopic: [WIP][C&C] General pixel-art  (Read 42832 times)

Offline AshCrimson

• View Profile

Re: [WIP][C&C] Medieval Fantasy Characters & Classes

Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 05:26:45 pm
No problem Kriss!

So tried animating again:

Changed spear, one-handed and two-handed weapon attack animations.

Added a bow attack animation, a shield defend animation (Still very WIP), Preparation for casting a spell animation and an attempt at a horse running/moving animation (Again, still very WIP).

Offline AshCrimson

• View Profile

Re: [WIP][C&C] Medieval Fantasy Characters & Classes

Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 05:10:50 pm
Updates on some of my previous pieces:

Walking Animation:

One-handed attack:

Two-handed attack:

Some new stuff:

Horse rider attack:

Running Animation:

Hopefully i have shown some improvement.

Offline AshCrimson

• View Profile
Sorry for the lack of progress and updates in this thread. Changed title to make it more relevant to what i am doing.

The following are updates to pieces i did previously:

One-handed attack:

Two-handed attack:

Spear attack (I am aware there are issues with the centre of gravity, probably will edit this at some point!):

Update on the medium-sized base i did some time ago, as well as a bigger version. Two versions with differing shades, included Ash Crimson's sprite for reference.

However this is new:

Tried my hand at animating an idle stance for the base, more of a practice and getting used to animating larger sprites than anything I'd probably end up using.

I'm finding the jump from animating sprites with 1 pixel limbs to animating sprites where limbs consist of many pixels to be quite jarring at the moment, hopefully it won't always be like that.

Edit: Just an example of what could be done with it:

Quite rough atm, hopefully it'll get smoother as time goes on.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 02:49:33 pm by AshCrimson »

Offline AshCrimson

• View Profile
Haven't made much stuff recently, mainly been focusing on anatomy:

Also included medium sized base, but im focusing mainly on the bigger one as a way to assist me with getting better with anatomy.

Any advice/Critique is more than welcome!

Offline Night

• exidelo
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/26118.htm
    • Exidelo
    • View Profile

Made an edit, it might help you in the meanwhile.
Now obviously you're not gonna learn it overnight, but if you really want to get into anatomy you should study it. There's plenty of material on the web and there's no need to dissect humans for the purposes of learning anatomy as we used to, all it takes is patience.  ;)

Also an interesting way I've learned to memorise muscle groups is actually by the very medium this forum is based upon, pixel-art. Of course drawing irl is a very important step in learning anatomy (much more than pixelating it imo) and shouldn't be ignored, but if you want to memorise it a little better then pixelating it might be a good way to; since it takes you more time to notice every part of the muscles' origins and insertion points you're pretty much ought to remember it better.
Here's an unfinished study I've done about a year or so ago.

(you're also practising pixel-art in the process, so yeah)
There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Offline AshCrimson

• View Profile
Thanks for the edit Night, It captures what i originally wanted to portray. I think i may have gone a bit too overboard with the lines, i should probably try to use more clusters and less AA and go outside my comfort zone.

In regards to anatomy i am currently reading up on it from a few books i've purchused, it's slow going right now but i feel it's helped me improve, even if it's just a small improvement.

I've tried drawing in the past but i'm often frustrated by my lack of basic skill with it, so i usually just go straight to pixelling.

Offline Night

• exidelo
    • Exidelo
    • View Profile
No problem man.

As with everything in life, if you want to get better at it you need to deal with it more; art is no different. The more time you spend learning and doing it, the better you'll get at it.

I understand what you mean by getting frustrated from your own lack of skill, I can relate. It sometimes seems impossible to get to the level that you desire (it gets even worse when you look at art better than yours' and wonder how was that even done). But the only way to get out of this situation is by practising more, as banal as it may sound.

Offline AshCrimson

• View Profile
Tried to change the chest, to reflect the 3/4 view i am going for, as well as trying to shape the ribcage more:

Apologies for the slow going on this.

Kind of frustrated with my inability to recreate a semi-accurate human form, might try other stuff eventually if it keeps burning me out.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 03:31:11 pm by AshCrimson »

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile
the head has a bit of a corner and the biceps are a little pronounced, also slightly uneven vertically.
in the breathing animation you posted, with every deep breath the guy flails his entire body back and forth/up and down. i don't know about you, but when i'm out of breath i try not to jump all over the place.

Offline Night

• exidelo
    • Exidelo
    • View Profile
Could you cite the books you're reading possibly? Just wondering.

With anatomy it's pretty important to know how the skeleton looks like, so you know where the muscles originate from and attach to; put some more attention to that.
I would recommend studying some older renaissance anatomy book illustrations, particularly the ones by Vesalius.
This site is pretty good for such information, some of them are pretty bad for reference, but there are a few really good ones (Vesalius, Albinus, Genga, Cheselden  and Casseri (to an extent)).

One book that doesn't appear in the list, and is more medical in nature rather than for art, is Grey's anatomy, there some really superb illustrations in it.
http://www.bartleby.com/107/indexillus.html