AuthorTopic: [WIP][C&C] General pixel-art  (Read 42828 times)

Offline AshCrimson

• View Profile
Thanks!

I am working on a male Skeleton/Body at the moment. I'll work on the hands, I'm unsure of their proportion's in comparison to the body, so im a tad hesitant to make them too big/small.

In regards to the fore arm, is the issue the lack of distinction between the Ulna and radius, or is it just it's general shape/size?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 04:26:20 pm by AshCrimson »

Offline Night

• exidelo
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/26118.htm
    • Exidelo
    • View Profile
Yes, the lack of the distinction between the two bones. I'd suggest making the hands in the same manner that Cyangmou made, open towards the viewer, it also gives a better view of the ulna and radius that way -- because of how it's rotated.
There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Offline AshCrimson

• View Profile
Tried to make both the Ulna and radius distinguishable, decreased with the width of the head and attempted to make hands with fingers that are at least distinguishable (although some are joined together, sort of).

Barring any major need to alter the Skeleton, i will start to put the muscles on it, but before i do that i want to ensure the skeleton is at least properly preportioned.

I'm also thinking of trying out different directions, like you said Night, if and after i can get the front-view down correctly.

Offline Night

• exidelo
    • Exidelo
    • View Profile
Yeah looking better, with the hands I meant something more like the left hand in this illustration.

Here's an edit of a few things.

A bit tired right now so I won't explain what I've done, but hopefully it can somewhat help you.

About the directions, sounds good.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 11:15:12 pm by Night »

Offline AshCrimson

• View Profile
Yeah looking better, with the hands I meant something more like the left hand in this illustration.

Here's an edit of a few things.

A bit tired right now so I won't explain what I've done, but hopefully it can somewhat help you.

About the directions, sounds good.

Thanks for the reply, will change the hand and feet (as well as the head, lowered it for now).

I've started on the muscles and i've done one side so far and i have a few questions (as well as an example of what i've done below):

Is it okay to stick to the important muscles, the one's that show through the skin and on the body?

Is it necessary to show and detail every muscle? I've tried to show as much as a can, but given the space i have and the size of some muscles, i have had to lump some together (most notable in the arm).

I realize there may be some issues with the size of some of the muscles, I've had to use a few different sources.

Apologies if these are pretty dumb questions and for how amateurish the muscles are.

Offline Night

• exidelo
    • Exidelo
    • View Profile
An écorché type of approach is pretty useful with learning anatomy, don't bother with fat and stuff just yet (which is the feel that the pink silhouette gives off right now).
Since you're pixelating it you won't have much space for every muscle obviously; so you'll need to emphasise on the bigger ones simply because you can't make the smaller ones visible at this level, I suggest sketching irl for full detail.
Here's how I've done it with sizes in a study not too long ago:

Also, more with the pink silhouette, I think you should go without using it, but rather overlay the skeleton with muscles; it's a bit confusing like this.

Offline AshCrimson

• View Profile
Thanks! Had to look up what Ecorche meant  ??? as i wasn't sure what you meant.

I've done most of the muscles (barring chest), yet im not happy with them. I'm unsure of how i'd be able to put the skin over them and make a character look at least slightly realistic.

I'm currently reworking the arms, feet and hands as well as the muscles on them, I'll post pictures when i've gotten them done (skeleton and muscle wise) i also won't include the pink  silhouette, apologies about that!

Edit:

Sorry for the slow progress, spent a few hours looking at arms today.

Here's some highly simplified muscle placement on the arms also tried to make the arm look uh, more arm like:

Key:

Blue = Deltoid
Yellow = Triceps
Pink = Biceps
Green = Brachio
Red = Flexor

An update:

Came to the realization that it's more about depicting what muscles show through the skin and are prominent then necessarily every oneof the muscles.

Basically redone the arms, chest and legs, trying to depict the lines of the muscles that actually show through, but right now it's basically a simplified version.

Also overlaid the skeleton on top it of it, just to ensure it still looks vaguely anatomically correct in terms of bones etc.

I think, like Cyangmou said, the shoulders may be a bit too broad.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 04:45:00 pm by AshCrimson »

Offline Night

• exidelo
    • Exidelo
    • View Profile
That was the point lol.  :D

Don't worry about skin and fat, as it contributes a really small covering surface on top of the person (especially skin, fat kind of depends on the person and on the area of the body (for an instance; the forearm stores less fat than the stomach does).

Don't drift away that quickly from studying all the main muscle groups, it might be annoying and time consuming at first but it'll give a greater understanding of anatomy later on - with and without skin.

The muscles so far look way too bulky, when in fact, even if the person is muscular, they're still pretty close to the bones. So the delts,(or even the whole body for that matter) for example look far too big and wide because of the muscle placement (insertion and origin points) which is a kinda wrong (a few posts back I posted a few sketches of muscle insertion and origin points, look at the delts for example and how close they are too the bone)

Also there's a huge problem with the hip/leg transition, it looks like there's way too much fat in there

here's an edit:

Some points in the edit that I didn't address.
-hip bone closer to rib cage vertically (along with some minor structural edits on the bone itself, the two sort of "wings" of the hip bone aren't that round)
-straighter clavicles (didn't notice before that you made them that curved)
-moved lower legs closer to each other (the diagonal angle of the upper leg bone could only exist if that was the case, sorry for the confusion earlier)
-the clavicles are indeed really broad (my bad), a longer neck would fix it proportion-wise
-the abs go in two straight columns and not in sort of round space like you drew it.
-when the arms are held this way, facing the viewer, the forearms are going to slightly move outwards rather than stay straight (you can try it yourself and see)

Other than that I just added the main muscle groups (the ones you can see at least) and some shadows here and there where it was necessary.
Not sure how you added muscles to your skeleton, but it looks like you used the pink silhouette figure as your based for the muscles (at least in the previous post), you should really go with the approach you started with which would be to find where each muscle originates and attaches to and put a high notice on every little curve (like on the delts you overextended the curve on the side); that's the problem with making such small pictures for learning anatomy, you can't capture everything you need to without the knowledge already being there.

Offline AshCrimson

• View Profile
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to double the size of the skeleton and redo it, hopefully allowing me to put more detail into the muscles and skeleton as well. I think i kind of screwed myself over by doing it so small.

A very quick attempt at a larger skeleton, probably needs more refining. Tried to get the feet closer and to make sure the forearms aren't dead straight:

I also realise the skull's pretty bad, and maybe the ribs need to be closer to the pelvis.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:33:57 pm by AshCrimson »

Offline Night

• exidelo
    • Exidelo
    • View Profile

Circled some important areas, also edited the skull in case it might help.