AuthorTopic: vaginaswithteeth  (Read 8158 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: vaginaswithteeth

Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 02:19:24 pm
Of course, I love the image, mia. I don't really have crits. Do you see why I didn't use squares, now?

Offline InvaderLupus

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 10:13:11 pm
Create your own restrictive palette that fits the image better, instead of some old-school, eye-burning palette.

That is not the point, it is made in c64 restrictions and it is displayable on a c64 like this, also calling the c64 palette eye-burning almost warrants a ban :P

ok, it's not that bad, and I like the idea of restricting yourself to a certain palette, but I think that restricting yourself with the c64 palette keeps a lot of the image's potential locked up. Take Helm's last picture (I think he ended up titling it Eve) for example. It looked great with the c64 palette, but it looked a lot better and more artistic with the easy-on-the-eyes yellow/orange palette.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 11:17:04 pm
I dunno lupus, I think both helms and miascugh's both look better with the c64 palette, makes things more interesting that a simple gradient palette, even though zfgc bastardised palettes they are still a good thing lupus :P

and onto the pic, its really interesting to look at, even though its mostly black, grey and white the colours still give it a lot of energy
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline InvaderLupus

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 29, 2006, 01:10:09 am
zfgc bastardised palettes

if anyone ever says "[insert zelda game name] style" I will kill them.

but yeah, I see what you're saying, I just like to see original palettes every now and then. I can see why people use the C64 palette though, as it adds a greater sense of challenge to the creation of the image.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #14 on: July 29, 2006, 01:48:14 am
Well, it's not just the palette, you could use any palette that is hard to work with if colour restriction was all. It is about the c64 graphics modes. Plus i am actually in a c64 demogroup (technically i am in 2 but one is more or less dysfunct) so yeh, i am doing stuff for demos, which i wont show on here until the demo is done :P
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline ter-o

• Elitist scum
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 30, 2006, 08:44:07 am
Lupus:

One more reason to use the c64 palette is because it's just simply brilliant! I think it's the best fixed palette in existence. Compare it to cga/ega, vic-20 or speccy palettes [add more platforms that I forgot here] and you see what I mean :)

You can do great looking stuff with the palette also without restrictions, just see this Indigo's ork coloured with it: http://ptoing.net/c64orks2.gif

Also, making art with c64 restrictions adds the extra twist that makes it interesting to create. Why people love to solve sudokus? :)
I think Helm and Ptoing could add tons of more aesthetic etc. reasons to use c64 palette/graphic modes, so I'll leave it to them.
I don't know everything, I just know everything else.
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda