AuthorTopic: Project artwork  (Read 5043 times)

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Re: Project artwork

Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 04:59:20 pm
I had to transfer it to gimp to change the contrast so it's a bit much of an effort.
That's an unnecessary hassle! Although it could be useful for early quick tests, you adjust contrast by working on your palette.

About this and shading and outlines, you should make sure to regularly test sprites against the bg for readability, before you commit to an option that might end up not working. Shaded sprites might appear very differently in context. No need to make perfect shading for this at this point.

Offline Pyrovisionary

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 05:28:33 pm
Maybe you didn't copy his animation on purpose but you definitely took some elements subconsciously (the worst of them is rotating him for 180deg, it maybe work for his character but not for yours).
I sort of acted it out myself in front of a mirror and animated that.
Maybe you are not very good actor. ;) I agree that he should shift his torso in order to show force of impact but rotating his hips and legs is unnecessary.
This is no mere thwack. This is a full on might of all your body overhead swing. :D  Yes, I probably did subconciously take inspiration. But also, you can get so much more power into a swing by putting your full bodyweight into it following through, taking a step etc. And when I tried that, I found that it was like that. That is my reasoning, and I am being slightly defensive but that's just me.
I had to transfer it to gimp to change the contrast so it's a bit much of an effort.
That's an unnecessary hassle! Although it could be useful for early quick tests, you adjust contrast by working on your palette.

About this and shading and outlines, you should make sure to regularly test sprites against the bg for readability, before you commit to an option that might end up not working. Shaded sprites might appear very differently in context. No need to make perfect shading for this at this point.

I don't quite see hwat you mean by working on my pallette. I know what a pallette i etc, but not what you mean. Sorry.

I'll do some basic, one layer shading, and perhaps another sprite that doesn't look quite so like rosiers, maybe a smaller backhanded swing.

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 09:16:46 pm
I don't quite see hwat you mean by working on my pallette.
Nothing more than choosing colors  ;D

You pick colors manually, making sure they work well together, cover your needs, go with your style, and many other considerations. Arrange them by value, by hue, by ramps, try combinations. It's a neverending process!
Pixelers have various ways to do this: I mostly go by instinct, guys like Arne or Dawnbringer have a much more rigorous approach.

One thing that really opened my mind to color was entering palette challenges (here and on PJ). Nothing works better than fighting with the constraints of a small crazy palette to help you find creative ways with color!

More reading material here and there.