AuthorTopic: Newb.  (Read 4592 times)

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Newb.

on: July 27, 2006, 10:35:11 am
Hey!
I'm sort of new to pixel art, and I mainly do runescape pixel art, but I'd like to learn more, and after lurking on these forums for a while, decided that this is an excellent place to do so. ;D

Here are some samples of my work. (most recent to least recent)

I'm currently trying to make a signature that needs a bucket full of sharks in it, and I have no idea how to get it done :-(

That's what I've got so far.. tips please?

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Re: Newb.

Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 11:01:12 am
firstly, welcome. this is a great place to come to learn new techniquces and become a better artist.

secondly, the "sample" overlays arent really needed. I cant think of a single member here who would steal these for whatever purpose.. just an un-needed precaution really.

now onto your work; it looks like you made these in photoshop no? I can see a lot of translucent overlays and straight brushwork, which is quite out of place, I'd recommend you use something simpler (I personally just use MSpaint, but Im sure other members will recommend something better :P)
also, it doesnt look like you know a whole lot of pixelart techniques (antialiasing mainly) have a look through the great tools and tutorials topic here and read through some of the stuff youre interested in learning  ;)
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 11:14:22 am
You need to learn some fundamentals and I think pixelart is not a good way of doing this. By basics I mean, anatomy, colourtheory, composition (whereas the composition is easily the best things about your pictures, regarding the format they are in), form, lighting, more or less everything concerning the depiction of reality (be it photoreal or stylised) through a graphic medium. And don't use the "it's my style"-card, it is obvious you lack fundamentals. I don't mean to be harsh, I am merely stateting what I observe and suggest what I think would help.

Go draw from life, draw your family, your pet, set up still lifes with fruit, draw what is around you. And draw what you see, not what you think you see. Observe.

And about that Sample stuff. It is completely pointless.

I removed it from this picture in like 1 minute, if at all.
I don't know if it's 100% true to your original, but even if it's not it would be enough to rip it and post it as mine somewhere, what i sure as hell wont do

Go practise.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 11:26:15 am
Thanks for your fast and helpful replies, but ptoing, those samples were for people in the runescape forum, who have an annoying tendency to rip things and even use them in their signatures with the samples on them. I couldn't be bothered to take the samples off one by one, and even if you can take them off in less than a minute, you have a lot of pixeling skill :-)

A ripper wouldn't bother waste more than a couple o' minutes on trying to take a sample off.

I'm aware I lack fundamentals, and am going to practice my drawing skills all over from now on, I bought myself a small sketchbook yesterday. I will also check out that link you gave to me just after I post this and try to learn from other pixelers on this forum ;D

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 11:35:33 am
rippers waste hours grabbing sprite sheets from roms lol
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 01:24:40 pm
Very imaginative and cool -- I look forward to seeing what you can do with practice =)

(it's irritating to have good ideas that just don't look the same when you draw them out, innit? ;)

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 11:51:03 pm
because people are going to steal this right?

LAME
alexander

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 02:03:55 am
Though not anywhere near as lame as a reply that not only fails to be constructive, but also borrows its lone destructive element from the first two replies. Yay for being useless and potentially hurting people in the process.

^_o

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 01:15:14 pm
(oops, I didn't mean to imply that the remarks about overlays in the first two replies were destructive...just that clr wasn't saying anything new, and was saying it in a mean way =P)

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 05:48:11 pm
(oops, I didn't mean to imply that the remarks about overlays in the first two replies were destructive...just that clr wasn't saying anything new, and was saying it in a mean way =P)
i know right
alexander