AuthorTopic: The City Life Rpg Game  (Read 6433 times)

Offline Joenorton

• View Profile

The City Life Rpg Game

on: August 29, 2005, 01:10:00 am
Um well i've been working on this this project off and on for maybe a year.I have a couple screens to show.

Toolkit Zone
This site houses the engine that I use to create The City Life with.

Now the Screenies

Heres some sprites

Here a concept of one of the main charcters

Well thats about it

C&C please
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 01:37:28 am by Joenorton »

Offline Frogacuda

• View Profile

Re: The City Life Rpg Game

Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 01:16:53 am
Once again, mirroring for people is pretty much always bad.

Offline Joenorton

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 02:35:29 am
Well here some updates.

Im redoing the sprites

Im working on the items

Once again, mirroring for people is pretty much always bad.
Whats the big deal
C&C please

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 03:02:11 am
Your stuff looks just like the guy that just posted. Suggestion: don't use the spraypaint tool and contrast each shades so they actually make a difference.
@darionmccoy

Offline Joenorton

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 03:19:53 am
If your talking about the roofs it just temporary.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 03:14:07 pm
About those city screenshots... oh, wow... This is the kind of stuff I tend to see that doesn't get a lot of critique, or even comments. Things that have tons of things that... aren't really wrong, but aren't special in any way, either. I bet you spent a lot of time on these, and that's good. I don't have the patience for large projects, myself, sadly... But there's a LOT that could be improved here. The first thing that strikes me is the colors. Way too saturated and bright and... Plastic-MSPainty, like. You could benefit from some desaturation, and exploring other tones and shades. Don't be afraid to stray waaay far from the original palette.

Then we have textures. Most of the things there does have a texture, but it looks like.. well, a texture. Not like an actual surface. You seem to have a liking for straight lines, and the spraypaint tool. The spraypaint isn't just about the roofs, it's on the blue awning, too, and on the sidewalks. The sidewalks sometimes might be an okay place to use it, but I don't get the awning thing at all. In general, try to avoid it. Not only is it obvious that you were lazy and used the spraycan, but it also never looks good. It will _always_ look like a spray-canned area instead of a real material. And the lines.. same thing, except... well, I don't understand why they had to be lines. Personally, when I look at that beige house, I think manchester. And when I look at the road, I think vinyl. I doubt that was intentional, but that's what it looks like due to those lines. Seems textures is something you might want to take a closer look at and practice. It's not that hard to find references. Just look at something and try to imagine how you could represent that with pixels. The rest is just about practice.

And then there's shading, and outlines. I... can't specify anything exactly, but it's impossible to find a lightsource (something that every picture needs), and some object just look like random boxes floating around because of the lack of shading and the harsh outlines. Most notable are the boxy things on top of the buildings.

And finally, I have to take the liberty to ask: What's up with that tree??

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 06:06:09 pm
Your characters... yes... If your planning this then smack me with a wet noodle, if not then be happy today is Pirate Day ARGH!!  Yo ho Yo ho a pirates wife for me!  Anyway, you should make ISO chars, for your ISO game...   Yes I'm chewy..  ATM they would stick out and defy physics if they are left the way they are now.  Also like Rox said WTFH is up with that tree?  LEGOS?  Another thing the traffic lights seem very plain, don't be afraid of adding a color.  I know the very talented artists do amazing works with only about 11 colors but you can shoot for 50 if you need to.  One more thing Joe's Southern Grill has revolving doors and only has one big window in the front, just FYI...  There really is a Joe's Southern Grill... 

PS Just noticed that the Pepsi can according to scale would be round' 9 inches wide.
Proud to be a BMS team: