AuthorTopic: [C+C]Some small sprites  (Read 17775 times)

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C]Some small sprites

Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 09:41:24 pm
I like that the new tiles are cleaner and don't feel as noisy.  They were quite distracting before.
The skeleton color tone could maybe go a light gray to shaded blue(maybe?) to help differentiate the sprites more.  The yellow/orange color didn't read immediately as bones to me.  Gray would probably blend too much with your already gray elements but if you go highlight and move towards blue in the shade it might stand out in a fun way.

@ Alp
It's in mind.
I did some 16x16 retro play a month or two ago and it turned out to be a great learning experience. I have found that limitations are usually better for learning than giving yourself unlimited resources. When I said that there was only so much you could do with sprites that were so small, I only meant that it's not as easy to apply "rules and concepts".  And by that I mean that the smaller you go the more interpretation you use on shapes and form.  It's harder to criticize the technique used in those cases.
Poor choice of words on my part and I own that. No harm done in calling me out on it.   ::)
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 11:16:35 pm
What do you think about this? This is based on your first sprite. It's cute and it's "skully". :)

Edit: Even if you are removing outlines you should stick with first character proportions. New version of character isn't very appealing to me. And in the sprite where he's Getting hurt/scared it's very hard to see his big white eyes, try to outline them with darker pixels (Maybe not from all sides, you should experiment with this :) ).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 09:38:23 am by HarveyDentMustDie »

Offline Cakeprediction

• huehuehue, newer...er avatar :D
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 05:23:01 pm
snipsnipsnip
I've tried the blue-ish, but it didn't really work out, so I went vor a less saturated yellow orange-ish, and it worked out pretty well I must say :)

snipsnipsnip
Wow, that's really a lot like I had in mind :D, This certainly helped me with this:

I still think my version could have a little bit of polish, but don't know where. Feels like something is missing though.

About the lil' guy, I gave the eyes some darker shadingoutline-thingies and this is what he looks like for now:

And I'll try change him  up a little bit, because I agree that he doesn't look as appealing as the first one, but don't have time to change him now. :)

Edit:

oop! forgot to make everything black  :D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 05:57:27 pm by Cakeprediction »

Offline Cakeprediction

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 06:15:21 pm

:)

so I started from scratch with the character in the same size, and I think he looks way way better. The very happy eyes need to be changed though, they look a bit distorted

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 10:14:49 pm
I'm still voting for the first version :y:, for me everything after is just a pale copy.

Also skeleton in that last animation is pretty bad, I can assume that you forgot to erase those white pixels. Even without those white pixels it's still not right. Try to imagine your character without skin, that's how I created that edit based on first character version.

Offline Cakeprediction

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 26, 2014, 01:06:23 pm
I'm still voting for the first version :y:, for me everything after is just a pale copy.

Also skeleton in that last animation is pretty bad, I can assume that you forgot to erase those white pixels. Even without those white pixels it's still not right. Try to imagine your character without skin, that's how I created that edit based on first character version.
Thanks for the reply :). I'll certainly remake the skeleton with its animation, but what can I change with this version of the character(who is obviously based of the first one :) ) to make him look better according to you?

Also, I made this:

« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 01:13:56 pm by Cakeprediction »

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #16 on: May 26, 2014, 03:43:11 pm
How about something like this?

Leg animation is good and fluent, but I don't like his arms and their movement.

Offline Cakeprediction

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: May 26, 2014, 06:08:32 pm
Snipsnipsnip
That does look pretty good, although I don't want to make him too cute, because there wioll also be some pretty dark sides to the game(killing your co-op partners to open the doors of hell and such  :lol: ).

Anyways, after editing mine according to yours a littl ebit, I finally noticed that my character was a little too overshaded, so I made a ton of versions with more and less shading(some look very similar tho)

I personally like the third(from the right) the most, But i'd love to hear your opinions about it :)

Also, the hair of the last two guys is a little bit odd(the only difference between them is how tall they are)

Edit:
I made this grassy tileset:

But I don't really like it and don't know how to make it better D:, so any critique is appreciated(as always) :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 06:35:27 pm by Cakeprediction »

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #18 on: May 26, 2014, 06:35:53 pm
Heads in all versions are too distorted (especially last two because left eye is more left than his shoulder), at this resolution every pixel is more than important. Here is more serious version.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 06:39:00 pm by HarveyDentMustDie »

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #19 on: May 26, 2014, 06:42:32 pm
although I don't want to make him too cute, because there wioll also be some pretty dark sides to the game(killing your co-op partners to open the doors of hell and such  :lol: ).
If anything, cuteness makes the darkness even darker. It's basically about setting an assumption and then pulling the carpet from under your feet.
Of course, if you don't want to startle the player with the darkness, then need some foreshadowing of things to come.

I think the very first sprite was so liked because of the tiny eyes on a big blocky head. (however, it also calls to mind Fez... though there are only so many ways to do a mouthless noseless simplistic sprite... character.

Of the newest set, I think I like the third from the left maybe. Removing outlines entirely limits the type of backgrounds your character can be in front of, as the skin color merges with a light sky color.
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com