AuthorTopic: [C+C]Some small sprites  (Read 17767 times)

Offline Cakeprediction

• huehuehue, newer...er avatar :D
    • View Profile

[C+C]Some small sprites

on: May 01, 2014, 03:25:57 pm
Hi there :D,

After browsing some months as a guest I decided to finally make an account so I can make my pixelart better, so here I have some sprites i'm working on for a small Roguelite i'm working on as a side project:

The main character dude thingy

Him drinking

Getting hurt/scared

His starting sword

a tiny shield

And the base wall tile

The sword and shield will be added to the player ingame, so it will look like this:

I actually have a lot more I'd like your opinions about, but I think this might already be too much for a first post  ;D.

anyway, thanks for reading this i'll be glad to hear your opinions :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 04:40:32 pm by Cakeprediction »

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C]Some small sprites

Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 09:39:48 pm
There is only so much you can do with sprites that are so small.  Critiquing these are a bit difficult because of that.
You have bits of color that are very close together as in the two gray's on the shirt and the tones on the head.  If you widen the contrast between those colors they will stand out more.  Also the black lines you are using on such a small creation will make them seem even smaller.  Attempt to use a much darker version of a similar color as the content of the sprite.  For example: DARK gray border on the shirt instead of a black line.
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 11:04:21 pm
He's cute.
Are they just 1-2 frame animations?
Or these are just design images?
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 11:11:21 pm
This was first thing that crossed my mind.
https://explosm.net/comics/3542/   ;D

I like it. You can't gone wrong with stickman. :)

Offline Alp

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 01:30:19 am
Oh! Such a charming little sprite! :D

Am I the only one who looked at his sword-holding pose, and thought of the Maze of Galious?
...I was?! Um, okay... >.>

I have done a small edit to show you some ideas, take from it what you will.
I was going to re-do the wall tiles, but I forgot. Oh well. XD
Tossed in some tile ideas, and a slime, because I got carried away. Heh.

@Johasu
Lies and tomfoolery! If 16x16 was so limited, people wouldn't still be developing new ways to draw characters at that size!

Offline Cakeprediction

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 08:15:43 am
-Snip snip snip-
I can understand it might be a little hard to critique, but thanks for still doing it(Thank you as well to everyone else :D). I did what you advised and got this:

I think it looks a little better, but sometimes I have some mixed feelings about the coloured outlines(don't know why).

This was first thing that crossed my mind.
https://explosm.net/comics/3542/   ;D
I like it. You can't gone wrong with stickman. :)
hehe, thanks :).

He's cute.
Are they just 1-2 frame animations?
Or these are just design images?
They are indeed 1-2 frames animations, except the attack stance(that one is done ingame by swinging the sword). I can Always expand the animations though, just got some inspiration for the drinking animation :)

-snipsnipsnip-
Oh man, I really, really like what you did there, especcialy the sword and the player and just everything :D.
If I have some time again to work on this project(which is probably tomorrow or maybe today, but just not now), I'll definetly try to add some of your ideas to it :).

Thanks everybody  :lol:

Edit:

I endend up with this. I'm quite happy with the new guy, but I'm sure there can be done something to make him look better, just don't know what. Anyways, I'll change the other things later today :)

Edit 2:
alrighty ^^
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 10:24:54 am by Cakeprediction »

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 11:06:29 am
Pixel art is as much about patience as anything else.  Trying different things is good practice.  It may look better before you try something, but you really can't know until you do.

@Johasu
Lies and tomfoolery! If 16x16 was so limited, people wouldn't still be developing new ways to draw characters at that size!
:'(  My apologies!  I was of the opinion that we had finally reach that point at which the 256^3(16!) approximate combinations were winding down.   :lol:

Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232

Offline Cakeprediction

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 01:57:30 pm
Pixel art is as much about patience as anything else.  Trying different things is good practice.  It may look better before you try something, but you really can't know until you do.
That's true.

Anyway, after alp's post i've also made a tileset and Walls:

this one looks a lot like alp's, mainly because I wanted to try and do the background without a lot of shading and things like bricks without are hard to pixel in an other way than the inspiration. I'll probably redo it because I'm not really too happy with the tileset.

same with the wall ground thingy, but i'm a little more happy with this one. Will probably still make another one

The tileset looks okay ingame btw, but there is definetly room for improvement

Edit:

This one tiles a lot better, but ingame it looks worse
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 08:02:21 pm by Cakeprediction »

Offline Alp

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 08:11:06 am
Ah, you've got the right idea, guy!

If it helps you, the cracked brick look, I went for with the wall edit was based off of the standard bricks from Zelda II. Those breakable ones. I just winged it from memory. Hmm... I should have done some indented bricks as well, now that I think about it. Oh well!
http://www.spriters-resource.com/nes/tloztheadventureoflink/sheet/41974/

If you're having trouble with bricks, you should take a look at how some 8-bit games do it.

@Johasu
It's all well and good, guy! You just need to keep in mind that somebody will ALWAYS find a new way to draw something. Artistic differences/style, and all. I've found 16x16 is a great starting point for beginners, too many starting artists go too big with their art.

Offline Cakeprediction

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 03:14:01 pm

snipsnipsomuchsnip
Thanks :). I've looked a little bit at some stuff and ended up with this:

This one works really well ingame, and I might be adding some random cracked things ingame on some places, but for now this is done(I think) :)

also, I've started editing the tileset a little bit:

Still need to do the pillars and arch-thingy though.

Also, the beginning of a little skeleton as enemy:

Definetly not finished, but I don't really know how to make him look better :/
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 06:53:03 pm by Cakeprediction »