AuthorTopic: Commodore Neil (Update)  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Commodore Neil (Update)

on: July 27, 2006, 01:49:34 am

[Edit:
[Edit:]]
This was supposed to just be practice utilizing more grays/neutrals in my art. I ended up having to stop before I overworked it into a state of badness.

Mainly inspired by the palettes of Miascugh and Kon.

Best viewed at 2x.

C&C.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 10:18:21 am by Xion Night »

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Re: Commodore Neil

Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 01:57:18 am
I like it. It's got a nice palette, the forms and overall design are cool... Some of the shading (esp. the abs) bother me a tad. The outline, I think, is too dark or something. His legs are a bit short for his upper body, too. The upper leg could be extended I think, and the shins could probably stand for a couple pixel extension as well.

I love the boots, and the pose carries a beautiful stench of arrogance. Nice work. ;)

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 02:08:29 am
I have to agree with Tremulant, for the most part.  The abs do seem a little awkward.  Might be the persepctive, but I can't really tell.  The palette, however, is really nice.  The pink/purple color adds a cool shade to it.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 02:31:13 am
Thanks guys. Updated at top, I think addressing the issues you brought up.

Also, this is a perfect example of my cowardice when it comes to pixelling hands. ::)

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 02:34:04 am
Abs are tons better. :D

EDIT:

One thing I just noticed... The hand (holding the gun) is very hard to distinguish. I thought up until just now that the gun was, like, grafted to his arm or something. Not sure how to fix it at such low res... up the contrast, maybe?  :-\
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 02:43:35 am by Tremulant »

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 05:25:57 am
Agreed.  Looks much better now.  I also didn't notice the hand "cowardice" until you mentioned it.  Come to think of it, I didn't realize a hand was holding the gun.  I thought it was attached too. 

I tried an edit on the right arm if you don't mind.  I just wanted to see the result with a hand.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 05:33:55 am
yes, this is very grey looking. :)
I noticed the Sternocleidomastoid muscles in your image look detached from the Mastoid Process, or maybe he is just wearing a shirt? I don't know.
btw, I'm liking the darkness of the weapon, perhaps you could make the pants darker as well to break up the monotonous overall value of the figure.

edit: oh, and I say you must pixel a handfull of hands next, :P

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 10:15:07 am
Thanks everyone! Update!

Tried to make the hand holding the gun more distinguishable.
Nice edit, gnarf, but the hand still doesn't look like a hand...More like a blob? For now I think I'll keep his hand hidden 'till, as Alex said, I pixel a handful of hands.
I noticed the Sternocleidomastoid muscles in your image look detached from the Mastoid Process
Wierd...so wierd that I didn't have to look those words up. :P I guess I did learn something from biology class. I changed it, but I don't know if I fixed it. I'm trying to pixel without references, then go back to see how much stuff I screwed up. ::)
I hope the pants and body are more...distinguished from one another.
Again, thanks. I think I'll call this one done for now.