AuthorTopic: GR#184 - Dungeon Tiles - RPG view  (Read 13887 times)

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Re: My tiles bring all the boys to the yard

Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 11:59:12 pm
You're welcome =)

Perspective and proportions: the (square) floor tiles appear half as 'deep' as long (16x32), so any horizontal figure should be shortened by 1/2 in apparent depth. Supposing the wall top bricks upper faces to be 'really' 16x32 px, they should appear 8x32 when facing, and 16x16 from the side. You may probably cheat a few pixels, but for some reason I think consistency should be maintained because of the iso floor tiles, more than on obviously impossible persps like Vierbit's.

What he does defeats understanding! There are several types of strong 'inconsistencies' and I have no idea how he gets away with them XD
First, the strictly top-down floor (in most cases) vs ~45° buildings; most secondary horizontal planes (parallel to the ground) are not strictly top-down (square) though, for instance pillar bases and tops in the top left piece.
Some of the pieces with sideways floor tiles are not strictly top-down either, and he even gets away mixing the 2 types of floors in 2 pieces!
2 other pieces on the 3rd row have 'rolling' perspective, starting from top-down tiles at the bottom and more or less gradually easing into a level view with vanishing point into the distance.
A strategic use of detail is probably key; for instance in the 3rd row, right piece, notice how the tiles are replaced with big swaths of floor and then nothing, leaving the persp transition hard to pinpoint.

Colors: I see the doors as bluish grey, not white. It's more a point of recycling though as those blues appear nowhere else, and none of the wall teals are used in the doors. But white/light grey with teal shading would be nice, I think.

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 09:25:57 am
Hmm, turns out my failure to do the wall tops properly was just a severe case of cerebral flatulence.

Started adding shadows too, though I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.

Changed the hue on the door from a blueish grey to a yellowish grey.

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 07:44:07 pm
This looks nice.. You can get better reflection with Adobe photoshop... You need reflect the wall and then put opacity 25-29%.. Bad thing is.. It adds more unnecessary color but you can always reduce it..

« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 07:50:11 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline cels

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 12:21:47 am
This looks nice.. You can get better reflection with Adobe photoshop... You need reflect the wall and then put opacity 25-29%.. Bad thing is.. It adds more unnecessary color but you can always reduce it..
I was raised catholic, and my priest always used to say Adobe Photoshop is the work of the devil and opacity is what brought Gomorra low. Between you and me, he wasn't thrilled about colour reduction either. But I'll consider your advice and see if I can get past my misgivings towards modern technology.

That being said... I really like what you've done with the walls and you also made me realize I hate the floor I've been using. I will have a look at both in my next post or when I update this one.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 05:29:28 am
I was raised catholic, and my priest always used to say Adobe Photoshop is the work of the devil and opacity is what brought Gomorra low. Between you and me, he wasn't thrilled about colour reduction either. But I'll consider your advice and see if I can get past my misgivings towards modern technology.

I understand! Im glad that I helped you..

That being said... I really like what you've done with the walls and you also made me realize I hate the floor I've been using. I will have a look at both in my next post or when I update this one.

Yeah the wall had too strong lightning... I lowered it little bit and you can see there is some dark outlines asswell. Your bricks would look even better with some variety.. 
I would put more cracks and dust in bricks  but of course not everywhere..

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 03:26:46 pm
Opacity? Burn the heretics!  :huh:
Anyway simple reflections are good enough, the glossy floor is busy enough as it is ;)
Although you'll have to somehow fix the reflection bottoms (or reflected wall tops), probably staggering them in the doorways.

I was thinking of shadows on the walls more than floors; glossy floors shouldn't have much shadow as reflections would be unaffected but if you do want them they're nicer and more realistic along the iso grid.

The crapton of colors in those walls and tiles make MSPaint edits a pain in the butt, I have to say  :mean: lol
(btw, is there a way to paint-bucket non-adjacent zones in Paint?)

Edit: Thanks, Crow.  :(
Also these wall shadows might be too dark, but you get the idea.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 09:03:23 pm by Manupix »

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 04:10:25 pm

Nope. You can use the color replace feature with a big enough brush, though :-X
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 08:33:39 pm
I work with GraphicsGale mostly.  Sometimes when I am in a hurry to change all of one color very quickly I set the transparency of the layer to something absurdly out of place like HOT PINK and then use the color selection tool to grab all of the color I want to remove and just ctrl+c.  It turns the entire area of that color to the pink transparency.
Cut the entire image
use a fill to the entire empty image to new color and paste old image over the top.

^ It may not seem very fast from reading it but it takes about 2 seconds on the largest of images that I work on and I can change an entire color arrangement in no time.
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 08:52:47 pm
You can use Paint.NET too and just use Shift+Click when using bucket to do that (make sure tolerance is low).

Offline cels

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 10:55:37 am
@Crow, Johasu, yaomon17: Thanks for bumping the thread.  :)

@Manupix: Those wall shadows do look lovely! But I can't help thinking that they'll make the whole level look like it's contained in a shoe box with external lighting. Of course, the only realistic light sources in a pre-electric setting would be windows, torches or oil lamps, on the walls or in the ceiling. And I don't really want any of those, I think. So maybe I just won't have any shadows on the floor or walls after all.

On the other hand, shadows certainly would help showing some sort of depth, so it's easy to understand whether two areas are side by side, or one is below the other.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 06:47:38 pm by cels »