AuthorTopic: GR#183 - Megamanesque Chars - Sideview  (Read 15148 times)

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile
    • Elrinth's personal webpage

Re: Trying to do some mega man-esque chars

Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 09:03:19 pm
Here's what I decided on (probably room for plenty of improvement):

It looks like this in motion (in-game):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5BLy9meULc&feature=youtu.be

Physics like move physics and fall physics might be off. But the jumping height is just perfect like Mega man (3 tiles in y)
Also animation speed might be wrong for movement.. I've got 0.07 sec the first "start move" frame and the rest of the frames (which are looped) which have 0.2 sec each.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 09:10:08 pm by Elrinth »
"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind!" - Edward D. Morrison
Mai fav games: Seiken Densetsu, Rockman, Doom, Final Fantasy, Zelda no Densetsu, Metroid, Kid Icarus
Fav consoles: Sharp Twin Fami, Super Nintendo Jr., Wintendo Gamecube

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 09:44:27 am
Hi again!
I got a burst of pepp and have been coding on my engine for awhile. I also updated the spritesheet slightly.

Ok here's the latest spritesheet. Basically just a edit of Mega Man :)

I borrowed tilesets by Mt &QuickSilva which was in mockup frenzy: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=6890.0

Here's what it looks like in motion. I didn't try very much to create a good looking level from the tiles just yet.
It's basically just testing my engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U2QZZAeIqg&list=PL7d7nJ1V45_ZJYGjKZaQUKnFTojsBwrky&index=8&feature=plpp_video
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 12:41:43 pm by Elrinth »
"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind!" - Edward D. Morrison
Mai fav games: Seiken Densetsu, Rockman, Doom, Final Fantasy, Zelda no Densetsu, Metroid, Kid Icarus

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 09:24:46 pm

Here's some tiles, and also usage of backgrounds and background objects (clouds & sun)
Hopefully I can get this scrolling in the engine later. Now time to draw an enemy (which isn't a robot!!)
Here's some plant enemy.

New video of what it looks like ingame: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qOndN-byXs
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 01:14:00 pm by Elrinth »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 09:20:07 am
I think those black pixels on the spiky hat do no good to your character. I'm a bit suprised by the shape of his fist in the "run, charging a blast" frames.

The tileset of this new mockup works pretty well, imho, except maybe the lightgreen/darkgreen transition on the grass tile that is too geometrical for grass.

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 09:40:08 pm
This project has been going super sluggish. But I've coded the game engine and metal man stage is fully playable. now I need some original graphics.
I decided to step away from the mega man look and go for something else...
so here's my char atm... I haven't decided if he should wear the hat or not. or perhaps make the hat as an equippable item

Edit: added animation of the main char:

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 09:36:37 pm by Elrinth »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 08:57:26 pm

Hey! Quick edit, there is some sloppy placement in mine but the idea was to clean up and give the pixels a little more room to breathe! It's very easy to get carried away with shading, but when sprites are this tiny you can actually describe form better with shapes than you can with shade. Pay attention to the pixel clusters rather than trying to smooth every line. Use shadow along the edges minimally, and when you do, block out large areas.

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 12:27:39 pm

Hey! Quick edit, there is some sloppy placement in mine but the idea was to clean up and give the pixels a little more room to breathe! It's very easy to get carried away with shading, but when sprites are this tiny you can actually describe form better with shapes than you can with shade. Pay attention to the pixel clusters rather than trying to smooth every line. Use shadow along the edges minimally, and when you do, block out large areas.

Oh my god, I love what you did with the hat! I'll definitely take that to the next version :D

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 05:29:00 pm

I try to constraint myself to NES color restrictions.
It seems capcom drew the face of megaman on after his body in order to come up with the additional colours required.