AuthorTopic: HD Index Painting in Photoshop  (Read 32697 times)

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Re: HD Index Painting in Photoshop

Reply #60 on: September 04, 2014, 05:46:51 am
Yeah method was right as Mathias said... but  I see now my problem.. Image was too large and the original pic had too much anti-aliasing.. So it need to be aliased and smaller like in the pdf file scene!

Better?

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 07:54:53 am by Beetleking22 »

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #61 on: September 04, 2014, 08:46:38 am
I think the main problem is you're treating it as a means to reduce rather than as a means to craft.  This process is not intended to convert HD art into pixel art.  This process is meant to *craft* pixel art by means of HD data.  Typically speaking, you don't even ever look at the HD source while you're painting.  It's just a means to provide you the ability to work with more powerful tools while you pixel.

Offline spacebatofdeath

• View Profile

Reply #62 on: September 06, 2014, 06:52:50 pm
hey, I read your blogpost a few weeks ago and started writing simple painting programm that allows for 2-dimensional palettes. it's still pretty basic, lots of general functionality is missing but I have reached a point where I am comfortable releasing an early build and get feedback what functions would be essential to implement.

so, anyway, here it is:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/kj7s0a2oysxbanu/Editor.zip

press 1 to export the image and press 2 to save the indices.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #63 on: September 07, 2014, 07:19:00 pm
Has anyone tried using vector graphics?
I sometimes cheat when doing lowres icons by making them in vector with pixel snapping and then just using sharpening to get more crisp AA.

Offline Nirel

• View Profile

Reply #64 on: February 28, 2015, 10:07:33 pm
Hi,
So I just came across this today and it's really amazing!
I just thought I might jump in and say you can get pretty accurate multicolor ramps. I played with this a lot today and found that you can even force preexisting pixel art to work with this in the same palette, the gradient has no limit to it's colors and you can use the curve and/or the exposure adjustment layer to make sure it uses the colors you want and only them.  Each ramp obviously needs it's own layer but you can reuse colors(the colors look the same but aren't the exact same value, this can be solved when saving).

I believe this can have broad implications on pixeling like animation for instance, you could aa transform sprites, or do an automated subpixeling animation using clipping-mask layers. I made this quick demonstration using 2 frames and no cleaning.

I also like the idea of being able to play with the palette real time without it being destructive, you just create a new gradient layer on top and/ or stuck with different adjustment layers like color lookup.
I'm currently looking for more things you can do with this technique, I'm very excited :) 

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #65 on: March 01, 2015, 04:08:53 pm
my mind is blown!!!
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Nirel

• View Profile

Reply #66 on: March 01, 2015, 05:54:27 pm
By the way, I found a way to assign exact values but it's a bit clunky.
Oops, I just read a bit backwards and found I basically reinvented something already known lol...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 06:19:43 pm by Nirel »