AuthorTopic: GR#203 - Hyper Light Drifter Inspired Sprites  (Read 69459 times)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: Hyper Light Drifter Inspired Sprite

Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 08:45:39 am
Reads more like he is throwing a frisbee than a heavy attack.

If its a palm attack why not start by lifting the front leg, step in, then cross the rear arm forward (pull other arm back)?
Kinda like this

^ That would be far more powerful than the strange bitch-slap he is doing now  :lol:

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 08:06:45 pm
Reads more like he is throwing a frisbee than a heavy attack.

If its a palm attack why not start by lifting the front leg, step in, then cross the rear arm forward (pull other arm back)?
Kinda like this

^ That would be far more powerful than the strange bitch-slap he is doing now  :lol:

It's probably a bit hard to see cause of the colors, but the intention was him to make a 'unfurling his sword' thing.  When he crosses his arm, his weapon lengthens before swinging.  I'll admit it didn't turn out exactly as I wanted, but it was pretty late and was going to work on it later.

As for palm strike, I literally just removed frames from the Heavy and noticed it still worked.  Again, I might go back and do a bit more with it, but I'll probably end up doing something else with it.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 03:58:44 am
So 1st is electric palm attack, 2nd and 3rd are knife attack which is the same colour as electric palm?  :huh:

1st and 2nd are OK but 3rd just looks wrong to me.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 04:34:06 am
So 1st is electric palm attack, 2nd and 3rd are knife attack which is the same colour as electric palm?  :huh:

1st and 2nd are OK but 3rd just looks wrong to me.

Laser Sword?  They both function using electricity.

Noted.  I'll come up with something else.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 04:40:35 am
Laser/plasma swords r cool  :y:

Pretty small sword though looks more like a knife.
I guess its tempting to make heavy attack motion a variation of the light attack but try standing up and doing some sword motions or watch some sword fight videos.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Re: Hyper Light Drifter Inspired Sprites

Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 03:42:48 am

A bunch of my other characters as Drifters.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 05:49:09 am

In the animation, it's rolling up his sleeve, charging electricity, rush stab, then fix sleeve.

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 01:51:16 pm
I have two complaints. The first is that most of your characters look the same,Cnut with different hairstyles, costumes and heights. Palette variation is a good cue for differentiation, and silhouette comes just as important.

For the animation, I see very little commitment to the attack from the character's body. Typically before a forward movement there is a windup to gain momentum. I would have his arm bent until the second half of the swing, and definitely get his body and legs more involved.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 02:08:09 am
I have two complaints. The first is that most of your characters look the same,Cnut with different hairstyles, costumes and heights. Palette variation is a good cue for differentiation, and silhouette comes just as important.

For the animation, I see very little commitment to the attack from the character's body. Typically before a forward movement there is a windup to gain momentum. I would have his arm bent until the second half of the swing, and definitely get his body and legs more involved.

The seven characters are all from different universes, so they wouldn't be interacting.  Their accompanying characters look far more diverse.  I think of these as the Main Characters of their respective series, so I group their sprites together. The repeat of colors is intentional for these characters alone.

There's a bit of forward movement, but I made admittedly too fast when animating.  I can lower the speed and maybe add a frame or two to help.  But when you say bending the arm, are you referring to bending his arm like he was doing a running punch?  I kinda have that in the motion blur, but I can make it apparent in the normal frames.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 04:46:26 am

Added a bit more movement, smoothed out his head, and added robo speed boots to go along with some leg movement.