AuthorTopic: [WIP] [C&C] Would love some suggestions! (16x16 Game tilesets)  (Read 6015 times)

Offline End

• L’appel du vide.
    • View Profile
Hello everyone, new here. Signed up because on various searches for inspiration I found out people post stuff here for tips/help/criticism, and I could really use some!

Working on a game, premise is about an abandoned city in the sky, and you explore the islands, in your hot air balloon, to find out what has happened through various media, and get the backstory of various people who lived there. So my major focus for the art is for it to be easily able to be made as tilesets, as I used Tiled to make my scenes to be put into GMS, and for there to be lots of interesting details without it being too busy visually.

House-wise, I want them to feel like they were built into the islands, (you will be able to enter houses by the doors on the side). I'm reasonably happy with the island terrain, but not completely with colour/maybe texturing, and I'm not happy with the house, especially windows, bleh.

Pictures & Progress [The scale in-game is shown at 200%]
First [All following ones are cut to just the bigger island]

Current

I'm open to any suggestions/ideas of ways to improve it, I'll be happy to here them and implement them,
Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:13:04 am by End »

Offline DerZocker

• View Profile
    • my dA

Re: [WIP] Need suggestions, plus some C&C

Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 11:36:48 am
I made a quick edit based on the assumption the windows won't be transparent.

I edited the frame a bit to reduce the pillowshading and to make it fit the lightsource more.
Also increased the shine on the window to make it look more like glass, though it's far away from perfect^^'
As for the colours. The similiar saturation of the greys and greens makes the moss on the walls a bit hard to see. I'd experiment a bit with some colour shifting

Offline End

• L’appel du vide.
    • View Profile
Thanks DerZocker, I like that! Made the other windows shorter (the size of a person, really End?) and tried to imitate the same sort of shimmer.

Also had to re-make the tiled map, but now means I can update everything quickly, so I've started playing with the colours.

Lowered the grass saturation slightly and played with the brick colours to make them less gray, helps pick out the moss a little bit better? Although don't think I'm happy with overall colours now. I still need to come up with some sort of brick shading too I reckon.

EDIT: Edited the depths and outsets on the bricks with a slight shade change to try and make it less plain to look at.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 03:45:08 pm by End »

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery
I don't mean to be harsh, but you're not going to learn much by just pasting someone's edit into your piece. You're supposed to study it and apply the fixes in your own way. For proof, you didn't apply it to the small windows: the main thing is the highlight on the frame lower right end that translates into volume, not the glass reflection.

You should skip the reflection altogether IMO, this is a purely conventional and unrealistic representation. Daylight windows are generally dark (unless reflecting the sun directly), the woodwork often bright. The reflection is never the conventional turquoise blue.

Of course it's ok to go with the convention if it fits your need, but I think dark panes and larger woodwork of the same tones as the bricks with the right highlights and shadows for volume would look way better.
Also I did not hate the higher windows.

Apply the same shading to the pipes, which should also cast shadows on the wall.

Grass looks ok, but the grass-colored patches on the walls don't work. Vines are difficult to pixel and often look wrong. I'd go for undefined dark drippings instead which might or not be plant-like.

You need to give more thought to your palette. So far you've created separate color ramps for each category of elements; try to integrate and recycle those colors.

Offline End

• L’appel du vide.
    • View Profile
I don't mean to be harsh...

By all means, that's what I'm here for!

Fair enough, after comparing it to the edit I've done I'd agree and say it doesn't. I changed the wood colour to something a bit less saturated.

Face-palm at the pipes, kinda missed that completely. Forgot fixings as well, so looks more like a pipe and less like re-skinned water.
Added back the higher windows, but still not sure, will look at it more when I do the interiors.

I tried doing all darker, but looked too much, so I've done the dark tone with some little bits of lighter at the edges.

In regards to my palette, I noticed there's quite a lot of resources on these forums I've seen and I will look at them, but is there any reading material you would recommend?

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply!

« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 04:58:00 pm by End »

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery
Much better!

These windows now have curtains, we can feel their distance from the panes thanks to the shadows cast by the frames, but what about the opposite highlights? They look like light on the curtains or glass and that doesn't make sense. Highlights should be on the wooden frames themselves and colored accordingly.
Also you've entirely removed DerZocker's wall highlight around the round window, that was essential to the recess depth readability.

Pipe shadows are too close to read as shadows, and they should follow the wall volume and detail too: closer to the pipe on protrusions, farther in recesses.

The light is coming from 45° to the left, so the fixings shadows must be 45° staggered too, not on the same line as you made them.
Those pipes have very little highlights. What material are they made of, what is their function? You might suggest glossy stuff like metal by highlights in angles only, although angles being abrupt, these would take up 1 px only. Maybe round the angles? As you're noticing, it can take very little to convey a whole lot of visual information in pixel art.

About color: it's a looooong story! There are likely many threads here that mention it, maybe in the feature chest (precious reading anyway).
Also check these Pixeljoint forum posts: here and there.

Offline End

• L’appel du vide.
    • View Profile
That makes sense, did not think about that. Did not notice that :s Thank you!

Yeah that was my problem with it but didn't think about offsetting it another pixel. Mainly just for water the pipes, the floaty block material fills up with moisture quickly! Will try out more rounded bends, it might also help the fact it blends too much with the sharpness of the blocks themselves.
Yes, definitely!

Thank you, did not see the second post, helps explain colour ramps a bit better. Will re-post when I've worked on my colours.

Thank you again for your time.

Offline End

• L’appel du vide.
    • View Profile
Okay so I'm back, and I've [attempted] working with a proper, smaller palette.

Gameplay-wise, the view will most likely be at 200% now, so some things don't look quite right, like I feel the dark green is way out when playing the game, makes the moss stand out too much, and the pipes, too purple?

I added shadows to the pipes, I tried 1 pixel wide, a space away from the pipe but it was too thin to give them any weight, might try some other ways. I'm not sure how to do the ends of the roof, the current ones don't look right, and the overhang above the entrance doesn't feel right either. 

Any suggestions or overall improvements are welcome!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 10:27:30 pm by End »

Offline BatElite

• View Profile

I think you need more contrast, because the background an the island blend together right now.
Also, if the dude's head is round, you should change the goggles to show that.
Quote from: Cure
Well you tried your best.

Offline End

• L’appel du vide.
    • View Profile
Yeah I really wasn't happy with the last set of colours, sky colour wasn't working for me. Thanks for the tip with the goggles, will keep it in mind when i go over the character design again!

This is what I currently have, darker/gloomy to fit the story theme.

Pipe shadows might be a pit much!

UPDATED:

Realised I hadn't actually updated window tiles. Ignore the other half, thats just fleshing out the interior example
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 11:52:21 am by End »