AuthorTopic: [WIP] [C&C] Would love some suggestions! (16x16 Game tilesets)  (Read 5970 times)

Offline End

• L’appel du vide.
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] [C&C] Would love some suggestions! (16x16 Game tilesets)

Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 10:17:45 pm
Kinda stuck on how to make the interior walls less plain, without them becoming distracting features? Windows kinda suck at the moment I know.

Also, I've tried looking around the forums for any examples on weathering, but not much luck, anyone know of any guides/tips on weathering that would be relevant for my island tiles?

Like maybe:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 08:06:55 am by End »

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 10:12:28 pm
I like that weathering, looks like dents, good presence. Think about some drippings too.
I don't really like the changes you've brought to the tiles at some point (Apr 10), doubling some highlights and some shadows but not both on the same tiles. They don't relate to volumes as well now. Ok if that's what you want, but I did prefer the former simpler very real volume.
I'm seriously wondering about the pipes: they are a serious visual distraction with no benefit. If they don't have an action in the game, I think they should go.
I might do an edit tomorrow, no time today.

Offline End

• L’appel du vide.
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 09:12:48 am
Thank you! Yeah currently working on the new vine/moss sprites so that's why they are missing in this update.

Forgive me but I am not quite sure on what you mean by that.

No. 1 is the tile type from the last update. 2&3 are the same type of shading as what I did have before changing the block shade/light to just a line highlight, but I would probably need to adjust my palette to be able to do that. 4. is without inner shading, just using the outer lines to give the impression of concave or convex.

Pipeswise, I agree! Just hadn't thought of something. I've tried making the shadow only a little darker than the tiles, so its not as 'in your face' as it was, a changed the colour a bit. I would rather that they do stay in, they are not used by the player, but they are important in the story/logic. Will look at smaller shadows maybe, don't want to go too light with the pipe itself as then it will end up just as noticeable.

This one is using tile type 4.

Thank you in advance! :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:14:48 am by End »

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 01:04:00 pm
Forgive me but I am not quite sure on what you mean by that.

My problem is with hollow n°1: why the double shadow? I think I understand your reason (bevel + cast shadow) but I don't think it works better than the simple shadow, and it hinders readability and efficiency.
I apparently was wrong when I mentioned double highlights, apparently there are none.

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 07:36:16 pm
Unless you're working with a 19th century setting, I don't think the walls are going to be all 'decorated', though what you can do with the interiors is ask yourself "what kind of room is this?" It could be a living room, or a bedroom, or this room might serve another specific function. Whatever the room is for, you can add in all the furniture to fill in the space to make it look less empty. Consider window curtains and wall shelves too.