AuthorTopic: Bruce Campbell portrait WIP  (Read 3203 times)

Offline DerZocker

• View Profile
    • my dA

Bruce Campbell portrait WIP

on: April 10, 2014, 02:36:28 am
Something I started a few hours ago.
Not sure if I should go for full colors or monochrome, but at the moment it's easier for me to just focus on the contrasts

I'll continue it tommorow as I'm much too sleepy now^^

EDIT: Some more progress. A friend lamented the lack of boomsticks. It also looks like I'm going to use few more colors now

« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 12:04:41 pm by DerZocker »

Offline DerZocker

• View Profile
    • my dA

Re: Bruce Campbell portrait WIP

Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 11:07:13 am
I started to give the hair a major overhaul. I just fear I have to cover most of the S-Mart tag if I'm gonna make the hair more Army of Darkness like. Other thing I think I have to do is sharpening out the face contours a bit more again

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 11:51:44 am
Other thing I think I have to do is sharpening out the face contours a bit more again
Yes.

I'd avoid dithering in the face, at least the central areas. These are where the focus is and you want maximal definition.

The gun (?) and label (??) are too bright and draw the attention away. You should just suggest them in the most parcimonious way possible.

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 12:50:52 pm
I really don't know who Campbell is.  :)

Your face proportions are off. Nose is to big, ear is in wrong perspective, eyes are to big etc. I think that these problems were created in attempt to draw character in one perspective by using reference with different perspective. Skin color could be better and you should better determine light source, cause light in hair and in face are different.

Here is quick mouse edit based on a reference that I found.

Offline DerZocker

• View Profile
    • my dA

Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 05:27:58 pm
thanks for the tips. I'll try to correct the proportions a bit more. At the moment I'm sitting at a netbook with a sucky touchpad, so I have to do the more major edits later. At least I think I'm getting somewhere with the hair

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 02:02:47 am
you should block out shapes and color forms to a point where you are completely satisfied before you start more detailed rendering.