AuthorTopic: GR#192 - Houses - Perspective, Projection  (Read 12135 times)

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Re: [WIP][C&C Are Welcome] My first steps on Pixel Art

Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 02:33:25 am
The scale is off...  Our characters are actually taller than the door, so it's gonna look pretty goofy

and IMO, the perspective is going to look pretty goofy with RPG projection. I have seen many examples of faking the appearance of perspective in Zelda games by faking the appearance of the Z axis having an actual perspective, where X and Y are projected in this manner: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_projection

Just to put it out there, going for absolutely correct perspective only gets us so far since it's impractical for 2D game art.

It may also look odd when you have multiple houses in the same screen, but each house suggests that the 'horizon line' are in different places. Not sure if that could exist in RPG perspective.

Putting in tricks to stray from parallel projection works with the right sort of planning. I dunno if the perspective given to the house looks odd to anyone else, but it looks odd to me because the given RPG perspective makes it look like the houses are narrower in the back
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:36:35 am by Pix3M »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 09:50:48 am
I agree with pix3m u should just go for standard rpg perspective  (follow cyan's advice) and none of that Zelda stuff.
otherwise its going to do ur head in trying to add diffeent things into a scene.

i think u should start put by roughing a scene (mockup screen)  without getting too caught up in particular details.
e.g fence, yard, car, bushes, path, grass etc.
just block them in basic shades to get the contrast and lighting, then go over it all with  a rough detail fill, add in shadows etc.

Offline Sidereal

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 10:09:55 pm
The tileset is for a Naruto game with a 32 x 32 Base mob
The human sprite is for another game

But Ty, i was offline.
Ill keep trying