AuthorTopic: old car  (Read 3056 times)

Offline Coltrane

• View Profile

old car

on: April 05, 2014, 02:40:26 pm
I made this old trabant lately. I will probably try to animate it when the shape will be definitive. For now i'm awaiting your critiques.

and here some ref pics :
http://www.peasanttuning.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/driving_veb_sachsenring_trabant_601_005.jpg
http://www.fahrzeugbilder.de/1024/trabant-601-limousine-hergestellt-33563.jpg

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: old car

Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 03:58:09 pm
some proportions seem to be quite off compared to the reference.
Since the shading don't looks highly stylized I suppose the proportions kinda shouldn't be stylized too. However it's hard to get good proportions with that less pixels.
Biggest issue is the height of the upper part and that some lines don't seem to support the design. Perspective wise it seems you show a bit more of the front. Since I don't know for what it will be used i wasn't sure about how to handle it.

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 11:48:00 pm
Here is my attempt of edit. I'm not very good at this kind of things, so I thought it can be useful and helpful at the same time. :) I also like your version, it's simple and colors are good.

Offline Coltrane

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 12:00:13 pm
Thanks for the edits, guys ! They are both quite nice and it's always good to see some new interpretations from other artists. They point on some details i didn't see or give me inspiration.

@Cyangmou : i am not sure about your proportions either. I've seen this car many times in eastern europe and your edit doesn't remind me of it. It looks more like another car... but i can't remember its brand now. Sorry for the lack of informations about the use of this car. I need some more height in the upper part because if i put my sprites in it, they have to fit in it... I'm currently working on a game, but i'm not sure i will ever finish it, that's why i didn't bother to explain myself more.

@HarveyDentMustDie : Thanks man !

Here is a new version corrected a bit. I think it's kind of finished unless you see some big flaws.

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 10:21:59 am
This is nice, but I think the windshield jaggy outlines are a big problem. Harvey's edit was way better in this respect, could probably be cleaned up some more. Also his back window looks more realistic.

Don't push realism too far with the window rubber frames, they take lots of pixel space and create problems on slanted lines.