AuthorTopic: Liqui  (Read 2632 times)

Offline nachoslave

• @nachoslave
    • View Profile
    • NACHOSLAVE

Liqui

on: March 27, 2014, 09:50:29 pm
Hey folks! I've been doing some animation of a character name Liqui from a personal project. Is a sidescrolling game, the original piece (on the Menu screen I guess) is this:

And then, the animation goes like this, with and without hat:

His name is Liqui, because of what he's wearing (a Liqui Liqui, the typical suit of Venezuela) He's the first part, the second part, his "soul" is the other Liqui (not animated yet):

Some C+C about the animation and the running would be good, I'm new at this and I really wanna get better :) I'm pretty happy with the Menu screen piece, but I think that I might get some advice about the running one.  :)

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Re: Liqui

Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 12:10:49 am
Hi, there are a lot of things that can be done to improve this.

First you need to determine light source, and shade your character accordingly. Currently it looks flat.

Machete is more like a balloon, and its perspective is off.

You could use some reference for skull anatomy to improve your current head shape, especially cheek bones. ->http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130409004754/everymanhybrid/images/9/98/Skull_illustration_by_yungtyrant.jpg

In your running animation character looks vertically squished, which is not very appealing. By changing his width you can gain more space for his movement. ->
You also have to few frames in your animation so it feels more like the kankan. You have the right keyframes but you need at least one or two more frames between them to make it more readable and fluent.

Out of all this sprites, purple ghost I like the most. He also need better shading, maybe a bit transparency (by showing the parts of him that are on the opposite side of his body you can suggest that he is translucent), and definitely some cleaning up.

I don't have the time to make you an edit of all this, but I hope that this was useful. Here are some tutorials and treads that can be useful to you.

http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299
http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=14658.0

Offline nachoslave

• @nachoslave
    • View Profile
    • NACHOSLAVE

Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 04:47:58 am
Thanks :) well, actually I dont wanna make him look real, just want him cartoonish, that's why his head is al oval (in his basic form) There's a picture of the original sketch:

that's why he might look out of shape, not because of bad propotion, but the cartoon style. Jajajajaja thanks for the can can advice, I'm gonna give it another frames of walking maybe play with the times.

Thanks for the tutos :) I'm gonna give them a try!

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 10:19:54 am
I agree with HarveyDentMustDie. He looks squished from the side, and it's not just a matter of cartoony style vs realism. It almost looks like you tried to do the body from a top-side diagonal perspective, and then did the head from a simple side perspective. I think it's partly because he's got very long legs, and yet he's only a few inches from the ground. This makes his legs look very long when he's stretching them forward, and very short when they pass underneath his body, before they're stretched out again in the back.

And while the skull looks pretty cool in your concept design, it just looks very odd in the game sprite. The cheekbone bears no resemblance to a real cheekbone, and it looks like his eyesockets have been extended across his forehead, unlike the concept sketch. Your concept has a nose, your game sprite simply has a flat face with a hole in it. And it's not actually a hole, it's a black surface. (If it was hole, his profile would have a gap where the nose is, not a vertical line.

I would do a lot more work on the design of the sprite before working on the animation, otherwise you could eventually be irritated with these flaws in time and realize that you've put a lot of work into a design you're not happy with.

Otherwise, a very interesting and original project. As a half Venezuelan, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Offline nachoslave

• @nachoslave
    • View Profile
    • NACHOSLAVE

Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 12:03:57 am
Oki doki, listening (or reading jajajaja) your C+C I'v just think of some changes, first one: size.

I think that the old structure just doesn't work, the size of the sprite is just too big, I mean, I could do exactly the same thing wit vectors on this size, so, here's the old one:

Aaaaaaaand those are the new ones, wich I really like:

- 16 x 16px
- 24 x 32px

I really like the 24 x 32 one, tell me what you think.

Sorry I didn't say anything 'bout the static pixel art. Yes, I have to clean it up A LOOOOOT. It was my 2nd "big" pixel art.
Thanks for the C+C.  ;D

*Edit*

I've jut made this one, and that's what I like the most: 14 x 18px
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:12:05 am by nachoslave »