AuthorTopic: T-rex Sprite WIP - CC  (Read 2718 times)

Offline krystalspring

• View Profile

T-rex Sprite WIP - CC

on: March 29, 2014, 12:38:17 am
Hey guys! I'm working on making a T-rex dinosaur sprite and am having a bit of trouble making him look well defined. In particular, I'm having a hard time making his little arms stand out from his body and not blend in with it. I'd appreciate any feedback on the sprite in general or any ideas on improving his arms. Thanks!

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Re: T-rex Sprite WIP - CC

Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 01:35:15 pm
Your T-rex looks like Barney. You didn't say what style you are trying to achieve, semi-realistic or childish funny? Also you should avoid black outlines on low resolutions cause they occupy the already small space for details. Here is my attempt on making T-rex, it could use a bit more cleaning, but I hope that it would be useful to you.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 04:00:48 pm by HarveyDentMustDie »

Offline krystalspring

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 03:39:56 pm
Thanks for the feedback. I was going for a cartoon-ish look but sadly, yes, he does look a bit like barney   :(

I really like your realistic version that you put together... much more appealing and visually interesting. I'll try to hybridize a bit and make him more life-like and predatory.

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 04:16:51 pm
Look at the way that this edit contrasts the colors to form shape.  Your highlights are being squished between the dark border large bulk of the high saturation upon your blue body.
This means that your highlights don't really show up to the eye without close inspection because it's being devoured by the colors around it rather than assisting in shape.

You also used solid lines and blocky shapes to form your dino.  <--another factor that defeats your efforts for form.

Again the edit uses highlights from a defined light source to give the dinosaur a rounded shape.  The colors aren't in a solid batch or a line.  They are sort of subtly reaching around the body to give it both a bit of texture and shape.
Likewise, the underbelly applies a reverse of the same process using darker shades reaching up to show the rounded texture from below..
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232