AuthorTopic: Software for pixel videos montage  (Read 2759 times)

Offline Phoenix849

• olegklishinart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/45959.htm
    • View Profile
    • olegklishin.com

Software for pixel videos montage

on: March 25, 2015, 10:35:48 pm
Hello, Pixelation!

For a long time I'm thinking about trying new ground in making pixel-based videos. Think 8-bit demakes, 8-bit cinema, Dan the Man or even Paul Robertson's animated shorts. I've animated scenes in Photoshop before (for example), but I risk losing my sanity when dealing with dozens of frames. So I'm looking for software that will allow me to:

1. Take my animated character gifs and move them around;
2. Add backgrounds, make parallax layers and all the good stuff;
3. Maintain maximum pixel crispness;
4. Obviously add music and sounds.

That's like doing mockups on a whole new level! Or fake game trailers maybe.

I hope some of you guys have had experience with this kind of software and would point me out in right direction.
Art portfolio and social media links: olegklishin.com

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Re: Software for pixel videos montage

Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 07:42:48 am
Flash can do all of those things.
Try it out.
There's some other choices out there.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 08:00:49 am
Flash or After Effects is your best bet. After Effects doesn't do sound though. I personally found flash far more confusing to learn, I'd give them both a shot. For this type of thing there won't be much to know. However I would recommend against using either for sound work. If you have the adobe suite Premiere is much better for that type of thing. Some discussion here from a while ago that may be useful to you.

Offline Phoenix849

• olegklishinart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/45959.htm
    • View Profile
    • olegklishin.com

Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 09:41:05 am
Some discussion here from a while ago that may be useful to you.
If fact that's just what I need. Good examples and so much knowledge there, thanks guys!

Now the problem is to choose. Both Flash and After Effects seem to do the job, and will be useful for me in the long run. But I have zero experience with both.

I thought about Game Maker as well. At first it seemed somewhat stupid to me, but on the other hand I have good previous experience with it to create fake games there (it introduced me to coding ~10 years ago). Will just need to find the right capturing software.

HTML canvas and GIMP GAP seem to be an option as well, but I'm not so impressed.

Extremely useful overral. If I come up with a thing, I'll get back to you to tell how it went. Think you can even merge threads or something.
Art portfolio and social media links: olegklishin.com