AuthorTopic: pompous walk cycle  (Read 8520 times)

Offline r1k

• View Profile

pompous walk cycle

on: March 26, 2014, 11:19:28 pm
I need help making this walk cycle look more pompous, or arragant, but without adding more frames to it.

edit: tried some different things:

here I just made the arms out more

and here I gave him wider steps and the changed arms

the original version seems a little more flamboyant, like a strut.  The last version is more like a tough guy stance.  But Im not really sure which reads as more arragant or pompous.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 12:15:19 am by r1k »

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Re: pompous walk cycle

Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 12:54:32 am
Maybe this will be helpful somehow - > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLBUd3r1y3I  :crazy:

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 03:39:17 am
try low center of gravity. your center of gravity is very very high, that's nerveous. works for someone actively threatening but not for someone who thinks he's the shit and doesnt have to do anything  to get his power across.

Harvey's link kinda has that even though it's stiff, see how his torso wobbles from side to side on contact frame? that's low pivot...I'd also highlight the longs strides and gestural motion of the arms. Though, honestly his walk is a wee bit too jerky, who he is as a wrestler and his suit is probably a lot of why that intro is impressive.

this comes up in my head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8TS-E2pxek

also I'm sure the Animator's Survival Kit has something on this even though I just cant find the book right now :p
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 04:32:08 pm by Conceit »

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 03:57:06 am
It seems to me that your steps are a bit too fast.
Pompous, cocky, arrogant are all feelings that make you feel more relaxed around other people.  The step animation is very fast imo.  Try slowing the footfall down a bit maybe.

I don't read the energy as pompous.  I read it as focus and direct.  No nonsense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uI75nJj3Nc  <-- This is a bit exaggerated I think, but it has closer to the feel I think you are aiming for.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 03:58:39 am by Johasu »
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 09:22:57 pm
ok I tried to take into account all your criticisms.

I think this is about as slow as I can make it without it looking too jumpy without adding more frames.

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 10:47:29 pm
Now it's much better. :) Legs are perfect. Maybe his arms should be a bit longer, and his hands should go partially in front of his torso during the walk if you know what I mean.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 11:23:50 pm
ok I did the arms more like that vince mcman walk, I also tried speeding it up just a little bit. Heres the old one sped up for better comparison too

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 12:49:48 am
Now arms go too high, it looks goofy. Do the same thing but lower. Like in your previous version, just move hands more toward the middle.

If I may ask what's the purpose of this animation, and what kind of character is he supposed to be?

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 02:01:58 am

lowered the arms.  I think its looking pretty good now.  This is for a commission, he asked for me to make the walk look pompous, this is a npc character.  Im going to send this to him now and see if this is the kind of walk he had in mind though.

EDIT: well I sent it to my boss and he thought it looked pompous.  If there are any other critiques though you can still say them.  Though now Im going to block out the walk cycles for the other required directions (cardinals and diagonals)

Thanks everyone for the critiques, I tried to incorporate and atleast try out everything suggested.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 02:19:14 am by r1k »

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 10:44:37 am
IIRC Arms usually go to about mid thigh, but if you're making a fat cat oil baron or something then the arms could be shorter I'd guess.