AuthorTopic: pompous walk cycle  (Read 8522 times)

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Re: pompous walk cycle

Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 02:28:15 pm
when i think of a pompous walk, i think of something quite different. chest puffed out, head held high looking down his nose at the world, arms behind his back even. snooty.

http://www.design-calendar.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Screen-shot-2010-10-20-at-9.59.07-AM.png

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 04:35:51 pm
@r1k that certainly gets pompous across! when you do the other directions you'll start thinking of this more in 3d, you'll probably see little subtle tweaks that you could do to improve his movement. Then when you add in the detail you'll see even more tweaks...or maybe that's just me, every time I look at my work I can see more and more tweaks :p

@probo yes, that posture works but that says nothing of how he should move...you could start with a pose like that and end up with an animation similar to what r1k had at the beggining out of trying to emphasize the puffed chest by balancing everything on the chest.
Really in practice I think the only difference between animating the pose you suggest and what he's come to is yours would require less arm movement. Maybe r1k can puff out his chest  bit more? woudlnt hurt, but depends on the specifics of the character, really.

I think both are pompous but what you suggest is a bit more scornful and less relaxed, works for someone more official like high in the millitary or the goverment, not so much for say a hollywood actor, celebrity or just a guy with a lot of money. No idea what is closest to the character r1k got comissioned to do.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 05:58:35 pm by Conceit »

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 05:35:28 pm
yeah i shouldve gone into more detail. my idea of pomposity is more aristocratic and aloof, rather than extrovert cocky swagger. but its semantics, pomposity can apply to both.

im not an animation expert but the way i see that stance i mentioned translating into a walk: a quite static upper body, arms held rigid, chest puffed out, long confident strides. could go different ways with the legs really, could glide gracefully with very little vertical movement, could almost march, stiff-legged, with some pronounced vertical movement or like a military parade, not much. you could definitely add your own ideas there based on the imagined eccentricities of the character

might not apply to your dude (he might not be posh, or a British WW1-era Colonel), but thats just where the word pompous takes me personally.

edit: i think as well the walk im thinking of would look much more pompous in profile
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 05:37:39 pm by Probo »