AuthorTopic: Looking for critque and suggestions on some game assets  (Read 1879 times)

Offline pr4nq

• View Profile
Notice: I feel it's important to put this here this time. I posted the other day and right off the bat I believe my intentions were misunderstood. So please read this so I can explain my intentions. I'm posting a screenshot of a game I AM creating. Everything in the game was made by myself or my friend the musician. There is no ripped art everything was done by hand and last time I think it was thought that I wanted to rip art out of this game, but understand this is a game I MADE and it was intended to be a 'thank you' to the musician who created the music in the game (which is for another game that has nothing to do with this one).. I originally intended to make a chipdisk for him and let him do his own album covers and just have fun with it but there is a mini-game within the chipdisk that has turned into almost a full fledge game.

So what I am looking for is just suggestion, critque, friendly assistance. I am not looking for people to hop on board, but if you would like to try your hand and help out then thank you very much thats what im hoping for!.. I'm not demanding anyone do anything or complete this project for me. I have made a lot of progress on my own although my art quality is no where near some of the pro's on here! So with that in mind if you want to offer a friendly suggestion or make a edit then please do so thank you for your time!

P.S. - I have posted in this section because this is not a collaboration request and I'm mainly just asking for a gracious tip or two on the assets I have already added for the game. I'm no where near the level of expertise as you guys at pixel art and thus why im here to improve on that. I've always had a passion for the beauty that is anything retro and pixel art is one of those things on that list :) Thank you.

If you would like to check out the work of the guy who I created this game as a 'thank you' for his name is JREDD and you can listen to his amazing legendary chip music here:

https://soundcloud.com/jredd - JREDD SOUNDCLOUD

Game: Pocket Nova

There are 10 audio tracks so I made 10 levels.. Each level has a boss.

Boss 1:
Description: Eyeball it leaks slimey eye stuff that the player has to dodge and bounces all around the screen

Boss 2:
Description: Dragonfly does a left to right occasionally diving toward the player (Did not add graphic because it was photoshop edited and would not qualify as pixel art. I will likely redraw it)
?

Boss 3:
Description: Ship introduces a multiple weapon system and has 3 50cal looking weapons at its disposal. Moves slow

Boss 4:
Description: Alien ship that spins and has not been decided on its method of attack

Boss 5:
Description: Goat skull has not been decided its method of attack

Boss 6:
Description: Frog it will jump around the screen and likely spit its tongue out at you. Really need help animating the jump sequence but i'm just throwing that out there I dont expect anyone to if they don't feel like helping out.

Boss 7:
Description: ?

Boss 8:

Boss 9:

Boss 10:

Walls:
Each stage/level has a wall on the left and right of the screen that moves as you progress through the stage.. Here is one wall I have done but not had the chance to revisit and tweak. If anyone wants to touch it up i'll post so they know what dimensions it has. (Again just throwing it out there! It's okay if you don't want to). I was hoping to end up creating a set of walls for each level that matches the song name so it feels there is an environment.. Here is the song list and the wall image:

"Exploding City",
         "Oil Spill Island",   
         "Volcanic Rush",         
         "Grunge Mines",
         "Ice Crystal Caverns",
         "Robot Metropolis",         
         "Zone Out Loop",         
         "Incoming Enemy",
         "Foreboding Fortress",         
         "Unleash The Beast",   
         "XyberPulze Ending Theme"

For example the Ice Crystal Caverns walls will likely be grey/blue with crystals sticking out of the dirt.. Simple enough :)

Additional:

There's a lot of assets I'm not putting out there. Not for any particular reason I just don't want to flood everyone and my main reason of this post was just to get critique on the bosses and walls.. Here is a few enemy sprites also and I'll call it a wrap after that :)

enemy 1:

enemy 2:

enemy 3:

Wrap up:

I would like to finish this initial post by saying if anyone does give me any suggestions or even if they don't and want to play the game when its complete just shoot a email to kenny.gre@gmail.com saying something to let me know that you would like to and here soon when I wrap the game up i'll shoot over a copy to you.

This is not to make money.. This is not to showcase my skills as a game developer.. This was just a fun project that turned into a little more than what we expected. I guess you could say this is just a hobby project to say thank you to that friend. Hopefully he can use this to post his music and get a little traffic to his music because he is indeed a great friend (who reminds me of howard stern lmao) and a greeeatt musician!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 12:37:50 am by pr4nq »

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Re: Looking for critque and suggestions on some game assets

Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 10:26:11 pm
-snip- rewording

To start, I would suggest reading the 'what is pixel art' tutorial somewhere on the pixel joint forums. That isn't an insult, as I can see you got rid of those non pixel drawings you had up earlier.

Until you read that, I would suggest that you avoid warning against trolls (a little rude considering PJ has a really friendly community and generally are extremely helpful), and that "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it" is a flawed rule, considering some of the most soul-breaking criticism can be the most helpful, even if less encouraging. Also, lengthy posts on any forum are generally less likely to get quick responses from people who have less time on their hands. Short and sweet!

But on your art, so I can come off as less of a condescending asshole:
Read that guide, and attempt to practice those good-form techniques while blocking out forms with few colors and refining down. That helped me a lot with my sense of shape and shading.

Good luck and never give up!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:34:20 pm by Fizzick »

Offline pr4nq

• View Profile

Re: Looking for critque and suggestions on some game assets

Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 10:29:41 pm
EDIT:

I made a modification to that original post I may refine it later and try to shorten it. My first impression was oh no another forum with a community full of you know.. BUT the moderators contacted me and said a couple things that really showed me how great of a community this is and that it was just a bad roll of the dice last time around. Thank you for your words they were helpful.

Thanks everyone in advance.

EDIT:

I'm looking over that suggested read.. I had not seen this one before, but touches on things other tutorials had not touched on before. So sweet find thank you will make sure I give it a good read and try to apply some of the things mentioned!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:50:34 pm by pr4nq »