AuthorTopic: Wings3D Help!  (Read 7238 times)

Offline PixelUnit01

• View Profile

Wings3D Help!

on: March 19, 2014, 03:31:01 pm
Hello guys! I'm new here! A few words would be that I'm a person with a very long back in time interest in game design, 3d modeling, pixel art and so on! I'm currently learnining myself all  the things, because I want to start a game project sometime, with some other talented friends! My job would be art! So, I've searched and found Wings3D as a reliable free 3d modeling tool, perfectly for what I want! Now, can anyone here show me some good tutorials about low poly character modeling, low poly landscape modeling, and low poly game assets ( buildings, debris, trees, etc)
Thanks so much, for your time! ;D

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: Wings3D Help!

Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 04:00:48 am
I used to use wings for modeling and maya for animation, but switched to blender because there was just more support than wings. Is there any specific reason you settled on wings rather than blender?

I found that wings was fine for static models, but it helps to have an animation editor built into the program you model in, like blender or maya. If you're looking for tutorials, there's going to be plenty more for blender.

Offline PixelUnit01

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 09:15:06 am
The problem with Blender is that, somehow the controls and the interface annoys me! I can't get anything around! In Wings, after I installed it, I already made something...In Blender I don't seem to progress, tho I've tried a lot of times!

First time using Wings and done this!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 09:19:52 am by PixelUnit01 »

Offline r4c7

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 02:14:41 am
If not blender, have you at least tried the demos of Maya or 3dsMax? If you're a student, I'm pretty sure you can both for free.
While I'm sure this program might work for this project, as you seemed to emphasize still objects/landscapes, there will probably come a time where you need to move onto another program. I guess you could probably build models in this program and then animate them in blender (In my own tinkering in the past, I found animation easier than modeling, although I didn't delve that deep). Also, one major feature that seems to be missing in Wings in the ability to add textures to models, but again, I guess you could do that in Blender, but by that point, you might as well learn Blender. The tutorials that really helped me learn the basics were these (http://wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=10226.0), but they seem like they may be outdated and I'm sure others can offer better ones. (in case you're wondering, I'm no modeling master, haven't touched Blender in a couple years, but I have done the research before and at least learned the basics of Blender)

Offline PixelUnit01

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 06:06:59 pm
Thanks for the input! I'll try again!

Offline DerZocker

• View Profile
    • my dA

Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 02:12:01 pm
I'm using Wings3D myself and as the OP mentioned there are hardly any 3D tools that let you see results this quick just after starting.
http://www.wings3d.com/paulthepuzzles/aardvarks.html
Those tutorials were quite helpful for me back then.
In terms of tutorials regarding the actual modelling process, I suppose most basic modeling tutorials should work to get a hang of how to utilize your shapes and finding a workflow that works for you.
I hardly need 3Dmodels myself, so my skills with it are pretty basic. Usually I use it to create some basic 3D models when I try to make something with a prerendered look.
Also, one major feature that seems to be missing in Wings in the ability to add textures to models
Actually Wings supports UV mapping, but you can't use textures smaller than 128x128 and they're always filtered.

As for Blender: I tried it several years ago, when everything was right click based. It confused the hell out of me,
but it suppose I should give it another try, as Wings lacks some functions that would make modelling a lot easier