AuthorTopic: Rock Artists - Marc Bolan / Syd Barrett  (Read 10810 times)

Offline tim

• Founder of Odd Tales - Art Director
    • View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Re: Rock Artists - Marc Bolan / Syd Barrett

Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 11:47:44 am
I really like your work. Awesome art direction, awesome execution.
Founder of Odd Tales
Art Director - Game Director - Game designer - Motion designer

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 12:11:26 pm
I really like your work. Awesome art direction, awesome execution.
Thanks. I saw that Behind Nowhere website and I was really impressed btw. Great job on that so far.

I've been working on facial studies (graphite and pastels) for more than a year now, I'm glad to hear that the hard work there pays off in my pixel art too. Execution has never been a problem for me, but art direction has. So yeah, kids, if you've got problems with pixels, go back to traditional for a while, it pays off :)

Also, excuse my weird fascination with symmetry and frontal faces. I've got binders full of people staring straight at the camera. I like that for some reason. At first I wanted to change that, but then I decided that's my style and I'm desperately looking for a unique style, so I'm trying to go with it.

Looking really great!  Some small nitpicks, I'd probably put weaker contours and have less contrast near his mouth, since it's standing out a lot more than his more noticeable features (his eyes and nose, imo), and maybe go with a bit less contrast near the mouth and nose area, since it looks like it indents/is too flat around that area.
Absolutely valid critique. This seems better, right?

Old -> New
->
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 12:24:36 pm by Gil »

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 04:04:45 pm
(sorry for late reply)  Looks great!  You've gotten really close to Syd's resemblance while keeping the same style with the Bolan one, so many kudos.

Any updates on Syd (if you have any) or any progress on Morrison?  These are really cool and it'd hence be cool to see the set finished  :y:

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 12:33:09 pm
I called Syd done for now. I started work on Morrison, but his facial features are really subtle, so I haven't quite figured it out yet.

No need to provide critique yet, as I'm expecting it to change a lot. (and yes, I know his face is too large right now ;))