AuthorTopic: Fishing boat or something like this  (Read 4561 times)

Offline Kich

• View Profile

Fishing boat or something like this

on: February 03, 2014, 07:40:40 pm

I'm seeking for anything that can improve this. I tried to do a glass window on that hole in the wall, but I miserably failed. Any tips?

(It's kinda like a boat for riding, not exactly for fishing)

Offline Kosvid

• View Profile

Re: Fishing boat or something like this

Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 03:11:03 pm
Shadows! Shadows improve everything! Yours don`t seem realistic. I am sorry I can`t show you due to the time lack.
Define where the light source is. The shadow from the blue thing (thing without any dark spaces and with underlit ones, again) says it`s right above the boat, the shadow from the life lifebouy says it`s on the left (in relation to the boat). Add some shades to the forepart.
And one more thing relating to the composition: if you are planning that picture as a complete art (not in a context of something), add more details. Lots of them. Details are half way to a good art. Shades are the other one. Not the half, in fact, but they are very important.

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 12:36:28 pm
For a start you should determine your light source. If it's above the boat, shadows of lifesaving belt and cabin are wrong, if it's on its left side, the "canopy" shadow is wrong and left side of the boat should also cast some shadows on a deck.

Boat should be wider or cabin should be narrower, cause cabin looks to wide for this dimensions of boat.

You should also have some kind of construction that is holding this "canopy", it's very strange that this roof is wavy without the physical support.

About the glass you can find some tips here -> http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=16175.0

Also you should find some tutorials about wooden planks, to help you improve the deck.

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 02:14:50 pm
Furthermore if it's above, the canopy would not make that wavy pattern - from above the canopy is a rectangle.
I feel like the cabin? is too tall for the amount of detail it has. You could move the lifesaver to the wall and add some text, maybe lighten it up. To make it feel more like daylight, it might be good to have the shadow be a more light blue to simulate the sky reflecting light around.
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline Kich

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 03:22:27 am
Thank you, I made some fixes based on what you guys said. I know I still have a lot to do, but I'll get there.

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 03:40:39 am
Looks good, I like the colors and shading and details of this. But the shape of the hull is not so nice, yet it's the most important element here!
Specifically the pointy front and raised back look sloppy; also the front isn't symmetrical.

You need to give it some thought because it will define the 'spirit' of your boat and piece. I'd tend to choose something 'cute' with a rounded blunt front and slightly rounded squarish back (image below only vaguely fits this description!):

Offline Kich

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 01:50:03 am
You're quite right, thank you! The rounded hull make it more modern also.

But I'm having problems to make the front symmetrical (even more now). I tried some times but never seemed to be right. It's the best I could reach ): Any tips on this?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:52:14 am by Lucas Kich »

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 01:30:36 pm
Looks pretty symmetrical now, at least way more than before. You might draw guides or a grid to help visualize it.

I'm no fan of the raised bow ('front'), nor of its concave underside. That's a matter of taste of course, but I have a feeling the true issue is still a lack of 'character design' consistency. Again, the shape of this hull is going to determine the 'personality' of the boat, and so far I don't feel it has much. This hull appears somewhat aggressive and speedy, while the other elements look more leisurely. Needs more research!

< just one random example!

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 02:40:17 pm
I was rendering a version of the ship to figure out the shading on the canopy and got caught up in detail.

Maybe you can learn something from that?
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline Kich

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 03:52:52 am
Oh man how I missed that? Thank you both for your replies and I'm sorry for not answering before. My life is being very busy lately and I'm having zero time to pixel. Manupix, be sure that I'll research more. I'm not very familiar with boats indeed, I'll work on it and try to dig its 'personality' as well.

Ymedron, I got impressed, thank you very much for the effort to help. It's nice to see how the light effectively works on it instead only my deduction. It was very clarifying. I have no updates right now, soon I bring something.