AuthorTopic: GR#180 - Night Shop - Perspective  (Read 19499 times)

Offline Drazelic

• View Profile

Re: Night Shop

Reply #30 on: April 08, 2014, 10:58:33 pm

Long time no update, but I recently got a bit of inspiration and threw this up as a quick background prototype. And also two characters which in all honesty I drew while not really being sure what to do with the scene, and which will probably end up removed eventually.

The primary tree's readability has been drastically reduced, but I can probably fix that with a bit of detailing further down the road.

I'm a little uncertain about the sky-light thing, it seems way too big compared to the effect it has on the lighting. Maybe I should make the implied hole in the canopy smaller?

Offline Neirda

• View Profile
    • Oddtales

Reply #31 on: April 08, 2014, 11:26:21 pm
Amazing piece I love it so much !

In my opinion the two characters are not essential, you should add a bored shopkeeper behind his counter for a better story telling in the scene

For the right tree you should put a lighter sky behind it in the background for a better readability.

The natural lighting ( from the moon I guess ) should come from the back, following the blue right edge of the building belong to me.

Anyway keep it up dude, I can't wait for the next step ;)

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #32 on: April 09, 2014, 12:34:24 am
I'm afraid these new developments are a hindrance to composition, readability and even atmosphere.
I love the strong triangular composition and pitch-black night of the previous versions; the new background almost makes it look like daylight now.
Some hints of things there might be good, but I'd use only the darkest tone(s).

Also something that bugs me from the start and won't go away is the absence of perspective, specifically on the highest rooftop.
Giving it a slight incline (although less than in Harvey's model) would help tremendously.

Offline Drazelic

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: April 09, 2014, 01:16:23 am
Oooh, yeah, you're definitely right about the weakened contrast. I was so pleased that I'd overcome my art-block at all that I didn't really give the changes much of a second glance.

A whooole lot of NPA stuff going on here, but hopefully a few color-reductions and recolors will help push it towards a state where I can start doing pixel-detail-work over it again.