AuthorTopic: Background for a runner style game  (Read 7095 times)

Offline ElCuy

• View Profile

Background for a runner style game

on: March 12, 2014, 11:54:40 pm
Hey everyone! First post!

I'm a beginner in pixel art, but nonetheless I want feedback on the sprites and background i'm going to use in a runner style game. I'm aiming for a post-apocalyptic city as my main background, so here it is

In case you were wondering, the background has 3 layers with parallax scrolling.
So that's it! I hope a lot of feedback on this :) Thanks in advance

Offline Kosvid

• View Profile

Re: Background for a runner style game

Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 10:07:21 am
Very nice, I like it. It reminded me of some good games like Canabalt and Playman ER. Even the black floor doesn`t look weird.
There are some things, though, that do look weird. First of all, I think if you make something in pixel art style you shouldn`t only add it (unless it is kind of an easter egg), you should make everything in this way. I`m talking about the sun, of course. Also the clouds seem to be off since their pixel size doesn`t match the buildings` one. They are also blurred, I see. I`m not sure it is the best decision to make them not-eye-burning.
Then, some logical aspects: the crack-holes on buildings (especially in the one right to the sun and the most right ones) have the background colour like there are no walls behind. The fence (left) is OK, the building in the middle is also alright as it seems to be totally destroyed. Use another colour or add the destroyed walls (of another colour, again) behind the crack.
Then, I guess you drew all the layers separately and just connected them in a gr. redactor like Photoshop. The problem is that sizes of the pixels don`t match here, too. It is seen well on the wires. may be you did it specially (or you just don`t care), I don`t know, but I think the picture would look more harmoniously with entire scale of the pixels.
So, now it is a good background, but it has lots of things to improve and make it better.

P.S. Sorry for my English if it`s too bad (I feel it is). ;D

Offline looaks

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 03:49:07 pm
I like the palette but there are two things that bother me a little :
1) the 'damaged' buildings look like they are cardboard cutouts there is no volume especially when the damage is in the middle of the building.
2) it seems that the different thing have different resolution, maybe is something you did on purpose, but still bother me :)

Not bad at all for being a beginner!

Offline jamiecus

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 10:07:21 pm
Very impressive, I can see allot of potential forming. I personally am as creative as a door (Irish term) thankfully that's not necessary when it comes to programming. Listen, it would be a horrible thing for potential and in fact an already capable pixel artist to go to waste. I am currently working on a game that I have just finalised the lighting engine for and working on a plat-forming engine ATM and I would just like to propose we could potentially work together or atleast have a discussion about it. If interested you can contact me here via email or Skype: jamiecu2

Offline d13f00l

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 06:44:21 am
Looks pretty good.  Love the colors. 
Buildings definitely need some volume.  For the inside shading of the building, maybe a touch of green in a darker red?
The filtering on the sun, background, and clouds looks out of place.  You're better off antialiasing by hand, and maybe you can be more aggressive with it on the clouds, I think?

I love the black ground, but worry about what kind of sprite you are going to overlay over the level.  It feels like it'd have to be limited to a silhouette of a running guy to not look out of place.  If that's what you're planning, then great, it works.