AuthorTopic: [wip] [cc] Steam punk turtle  (Read 2563 times)

Offline thebombsauce

• View Profile

[wip] [cc] Steam punk turtle

on: March 10, 2014, 03:33:33 am
Sorry if this is too soon to make a new thread but I got some really good advice last time and I would love to hear what everyone has to say on another piece I've been working on.

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Re: [wip] [cc] Steam punk turtle

Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 09:42:07 am
Readability problems:
-What are the two slits that appear under the cannon?
-The cannon should be tilted towards us, show its "hole" to show its a cannon more clearly.
-What are those things in the legs (I know they're supposed to be cogs, but does everyone who looks at it? Use help from the previous thread)
-What are those things in the window? Angry eyes? Are they plastered to the glass? Behind it? Are they biological or man-made?

Coloring:
The texture needs some work, you can use the advice and references from the previous one.
The feet and legs are shaded as if the light came from the right, but the cannon's lighting comes from above.
The feet probably shouldn't have such strong lighting either way.

Animation:
The cannon appears too suddenly from inside the shell, you should make it start to appear sooner to compensate.
(When it 'pops' it's already too far outside the shell, giving the impression of magically materializing)
The line between both wooden compartments is thicker in the beginning frames. If this is intentional, it doesn't look like it.
Add a darker color between the two (when they're separate) to drive the idea of them being separate and then joining.

Offline thebombsauce

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 11:09:12 am
The two slits that appear under the cannon are eyes in the new one I've changed it a bit to hopefully make it both more apparent and more robotic, I added the cannon hole and redid the gears, as for the angry eyes this was meant to be a metal plate with scratches that was screwed in. I've made it more metallic and removed the scratches until I can figure out something more apparent looking, I made all the shading on the legs and feet and cogs diagonal like the cannon but I will have to do some work on the wood texture. As for the animation I think the cannon looks much better and the seperation was an error (thanks for catching that) tell me what you think

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 12:31:37 pm
[...] (thanks for catching that) tell me what you think
I'm happy to help... but that doesn't mean you can take me for granted, young grasshopper! :lol:
Don't assume I'll be the one to help you next time you post. (Even though this is the third time in 48 hours ::))

Hovering feet:
Apparently, to fix the separation line gap, you moved the lower part of the body upwards.
This made the feet hover in the air in the first few moments of the animation.

Cog joints:
The cogs still don't look much like cogs, but at least it looks cleaner now, and it can be inferred that they're some kind of metallic joints.

Feet:
I'm going to take the chance to say that the shape of the feet is a bit unappealing (same as in the wooden android)
The front outlines look too jaggy. I'm not a fan of having more mass in the upper part of the feet either.
You should round the feet out, have them be symmetrically rounded in the upper and lower parts. Like half of an ellipse.

Texture:
Again, I point out that the wood textures are far from good right now, and you should go and try to apply the advice from the other thread.

Cannon hole:
The cannon hole is not round enough (reminds me of the stylization that some cartoons have been using lately)
The small resolution at which you've drawn it gives it two problems:
1. The shape of the cluster itself doesn't look oval shaped enough (if you take away the lines surrounding it, it's just a rectangle.)
2. There is not enough space to show the metal around the nozzle. The lines around the hole just look like more hole
(using lines for small details is pretty wasteful at this small resolution. They don't add new information, and take away space.)

I'm going to go do other stuff now, this post took some sweet 20min+ to compose.
Don't let what I said at the beginning of the post stop you from posting again, though ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 12:36:53 pm by YellowLime »

Offline thebombsauce

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 08:45:20 am
Alright so for the wood texture I looked through tons of tilesets and work from others for inspiration and found this looks best. As for the for the cannon hole and feet shape I think we will have to agree to disagree I've moved the cog joints to make it clearer that they only serve to turn and compress or decrompress a metal rod within the leg, but the cogs now stand in serious contrast with everything, I would greatly appreciate along with more general critique some help on redesging the cogs and making the turning more apparent.