AuthorTopic: CyberPunk Gamejam, Last Day before sending it !  (Read 7294 times)

Offline Neirda

• View Profile
    • Oddtales

CyberPunk Gamejam, Last Day before sending it !

on: March 11, 2014, 06:11:34 am
Hi everyone, I would like to know what do you think about my pixel art in general made for this contest :

And also on of my first attempt in animation :

The quality is really lower than my .PSD, because of internet compression & shit ..

Anyway I hope you wil like it !

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Re: CyberPunk Gamejam, Last Day before sending it !

Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 11:55:34 am
The screenshots have way too much stuff going on in them for me to criticize in-depth.
If you made this in a week-- congratulations, it seems like it took a lot of work  :y::)

The issues I see globally are:
Differently sized pixels* (neon "kanji" symbols on the first screen, in which the directional stretching is very obvious in two instances)
Overt pillow-shading (the red windows of the train in the second screen)
Layering pixelart with non-pixel effects (the purple ambient light in the third screen). This 'muds' the pixelart.

Although, in a way, these add to the semi-chaotic, mish-mash environment that the cyber-punk setting is known for
(not the pillow-shading though) :lol:

About the animation:
The animation on the final screen, as it stands right now, has a lot of expressiveness in the characters' movements (especially the fat fish),
but to me, it's painfully choppy. (Also, frames aren't evenly spaced, hindering the "flow" even further)

You should add some in-between frames, I think
(even if the rest of the game remains with similarly choppy animations, this could be considered like some kind of deluxe cutscene ::))

It's probably one of the most important moments in the game (if not THE most important) so I think it deserves some attention.
Although, since the deadline is so soon, maybe you already don't have enough time...
You shoulda posted a couple days earlier! Since we don't bite and all... :crazy:

*EDIT: Looking more closely at the 1st screen made me doubtful that the signs are actually of differently sized pixels,
but that's the impression it gave me when I first looked at it, so...
maybe the problem was their lack of color depth in comparison to the rest of the scenery :P
Either that or the fact that when you stretched them, they lost their apparent resolution... (I'm a mess at this) :crazy:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 12:05:54 pm by YellowLime »

Offline tim

• Founder of Odd Tales - Art Director
    • View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 03:56:16 pm
There is definitely some stretching ;)
We didn't have the time to iterate  / refine any sprite for the game jam, we made it in only 4 days.
Our small game will be out tomorrow.
Neirda is my awesome little brother by the way =)
Founder of Odd Tales
Art Director - Game Director - Game designer - Motion designer

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 11:20:55 pm
Love it, don't think everything has to be super refined - if anything all the stretching artefacts, non pixel fx, and general messiness kinda suits it and even adds an immediacy.  I have a lot of love for 'jam' projects and how you really have to embrace imperfection. 

Congratulations, tim and Neirda - when/where can I play it??

Animation has some great poses - wasn't sure if this was exactly as it appears in game, or a capture with dropped frames etc, but if I had time to fix one thing, you'd make most gains here I think!

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 11:49:18 pm
Great stuff. "Protoss imba"  :lol:

If I were to nitpick, I would criticize the way the shooter skips forward while shooting, while his target slides 5 feet in the same position before falling out the window. But I love the way the scene is animated, with the cowering prostitutes and all.

Offline Neirda

• View Profile
    • Oddtales

Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 08:06:29 pm
Hi again everyone, thank for compliment & critics

@Yellowman, thank for your feedback & tips, as you know I've rush it but you are true on every point .

@Rickfuzz, The code is not operational yet, I will share the link in a few days ; )

@Cels, Haha yeah, I have really enjoyed putting easter eggs into the screen ^^ And this is what I've said, the animation of main
    Characters is not the true one, because it is from another .psd, and I was in lack of time to add the real anim...

Anyway, we are sorry for not being ready at time, but here some of my latest animations in the real quality for make you waiting :)

Best Regards, Adrien soret.

Offline Neirda

• View Profile
    • Oddtales

Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 01:29:14 pm
Hi hi, the game is now released, Enjoy ! all feedbacks are welcome : http://timsoret.itch.io/the-last-night

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 03:20:52 pm
Love this! Very 'Blade Runner' atmospheric =)
I don't mind the hybrid look, stretched pixels and stuff, it's well in the mood.
I don't think the sprites are really consistent with that mood though, although I can't say how to fix that (other than giving them some basic shading, even outrageously exaggerated, because of the strong light source(s) environment).

The quality is really lower than my .PSD, because of internet compression & shit
Not sure what you mean exactly, but: gif allows for 256 colors only (indexed color), so if your psd has more as seems to be the case, there is loss. You might want to look into 'apng' format (animated png) which should solve the issue, is browser compatible etc. But I have no idea how you make them!

Agree that the 'transport' windows shading doesn't work, look at trains in subway stations references.

Going to see the game now ;)
Edit: loved it. You guys are good!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 03:35:37 pm by Manupix »