AuthorTopic: Illustrator looking to build a team for Game: Project Rudra, (2D action)  (Read 6895 times)

Offline hybridmink

• View Profile

To quell the need of natural resources on Earth, man takes its first steps into terraforming. Mars is the center of a digital terraforming experiment.

Hi, my name is Nick Savino. I've been brewing this idea for a game for the past 8 years. A couple months after graduating college, I began developing characters with the intention of making a game universe around them. The game would be an action/platformer similar to Mega Man X/Zero, but with 5-6 playable characters. Each would have their own unique playstyle. The world is set in the distant future on Mars during a terraforming experiment. Before I go any further, you can take a look at the characters and their development over the years if you're interested:

http://hybridmink.deviantart.com/gallery/26898898

I've been working as a freelance illustrator for the past couple years so I'm very familiar with the process of recruiting through forums and working on games. However, I've never actually started one up myself so please forgive me if I don't really know what I'm doing. :) In order to get this game made, I feel that it would need the following:

-Illustrator: I would handle all character illustrations including headshots for dialogue, cinematic shots for storytelling, in-game menus, etc.
-Composer: I have at least one person that will help with music, but I would like to spread out the workload and possibly get different styles into the mix.
-Someone to develop the game engine or modify an existing one: Gameplay would include various weapon-based combat levels, as well as a couple shoot-em-up (shmup) style levels. Action would include a system for combos and meter management
-Sprite artist and animator: I would provide the sprite artist with animation keyframes that could be traced over in pixel art and then animated in between. Most of my professional career is actually in animation, so I have experience in this process. However, if the animator did not require so much input, they would be given freedom to come up with their own animations.
-Background Artist: I may be able to fill this role myself, but my strength is in character design. Ideally, I would like to have someone skilled in background creation
-Writer: I have established the main story beats and character motivations, but I'm no writer. I'd like someone to take the Rudra universe and make it shine with humor and drama.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but those are the basics. Now, here's a rundown of the different characters and their playstyles. Click the link for a visual :)

Zetch: grappling enemies from a distance, in-fighting
Tomoe:  dagger attacks, combos increase meter and weapon size for bigger attacks or armor
Sypher: slow moving, can change between greatsword/axe/lance&shield, Rage meter
Buster 3:  fast shooting segments, possibly on rails
Cilvia: slow moving, wide range summon attacks (utilize numeric keypad for direction of attacks?)
Sei: fast swordplay, ninja action, magnetism

Over the course of the game you would have the option of choosing between characters or a set path that only 1 or 2 could take. Here is what I currently have for level ideas:

Prologue: The Agency, Spider base (digital); desert outside of the terraformmed dome
Clubbin': a night club & bar
Battleship Armada: Mars desert surface/sky, entering the colony
It’s Snow Time: snowy mountain region that becomes an inferno landscape
Feudal Japan: with sakura trees and all that stuff
Prehistoric era: tropical landscape with dinosaurs
RPG spoof-land: homage to role playing games (alternatively could make this an amusement park)
Jail and College: a prison and college have combined into one
Super Elevator!: a long-ass elevator in the Judicial building of the colony
Heading to Agency HQ: city streets leading up to Agency headquarters
The Professor: Agency basement, center of the Rudra Network. A lot happens in this chapter, but the basic gist is this is where it all ends.

That's 11 levels total, though some are longer than others and could be seen as 2 or even 3 separate ones. I would also like rhythm-based levels where the character would be on-rails and timing button prompts to music. This is less important than the rest of the game so I won't go into too much detail here. However, I think it would be great to have as each character has their own sort of musical genre that represents them.

So to recap, I currently have plenty of concept artwork to get started on in-game assets. I have the bulk of the main story beats, but not exactly a coherent narrative. I have an understanding of each character's moveset as well as most bosses. I would love to work with any talented individuals that have a passion for the 2D action/platformer. As long as someone gets to play this game, I'm happy with any form of distribution. :)

If you are interested in this project and would like to know more (including the 16 page design document), please contact me at hybridmink@gmail.com. Just put "Project Rudra: my role" in the subject line where the role is what you'd like to fill. Any information you can provide on your previous works or projects would be appreciated.

I will try to keep an eye on this thread, but email is definitely the best way to get in touch with me. You may also include your skype address as well. I think that's it! I look forward to hearing from you!

-Nick, aka hybridmink
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 07:57:39 pm by PixelPiledriver »

Offline hybridmink

• View Profile
Here is some new artwork for one of the playable characters: Sei. I feel like her gameplay style would be the most basic and I'd like to create a working demo with her first. :)

Offline Meanapple

• View Profile
you draw really great, why are you not in a company yet  ;D

Offline hybridmink

• View Profile
Thanks! I've done freelance illustration for a while now, but it's actually tough finding english-speaking companies that want anime style artwork. Most of them just outsource from Asia :/

Anyways, working on a project like this allows me much more freedom. :)

Offline Meanapple

• View Profile
There arent? Hmm well try it with a japanese company then  :D

I, at your place, would draw a novel or something about the story you already have if you fail to get a team together.

Offline hybridmink

• View Profile
From the very beginning, the characters were designed around their abilities in game. It would be pretty depressing to give up on this idea after so long, but I've certainly considered just making a comic with these characters. :)

Offline Meanapple

• View Profile
I see, so how is it going? did you find people?

Offline hybridmink

• View Profile
I have found lots of people that would like to write and work on music. I have found a few that are interested in sprite work. However, I've only talked with a couple programmers as of right now. I'm hoping to garner more interest once I have more content to show.

Offline hybridmink

• View Profile

The first step will be getting the starting character into the game. Here's Zetch's stance! Hunched over a bit to suit his fighting style (unarmed Silat).

Offline Meanapple

• View Profile
The characters look really promising.
Though Im not really interested in fighting games nor sci fi games
huh.