AuthorTopic: GR#177 - Digimon - Sprite Process  (Read 18710 times)

Offline Quake

• View Profile

GR#177 - Digimon - Sprite Process

on: March 08, 2014, 07:19:37 pm
Sketch so far. Just looking for some suggestions, etc before I start to clear it up.

I think he may look too 'human-like'. Not sure if anyone else agrees.

edit head:

References used:

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 07:35:57 pm by Quake »

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Re: Digimon sprite for a sidescroller.

Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 08:49:42 pm
If it's going to be used in a sidescroller, it should be looking towards either side, right?

Currently, it has more of a 3/4 perspective...

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 08:56:54 pm
If it's going to be used in a sidescroller, it should be looking towards either side, right?

Currently, it has more of a 3/4 perspective...

I'm going for something similar to this:

I definitely think I may need to change the perspective, as you said. Thanks :)

-- edit --

Don't know if this is better: hope so.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 09:15:45 pm by Quake »

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 02:49:59 am
having a slight 3/4 angle in side scrollers can help give the sprites more depth.  Your sprite may be too much at an angle, but I think having the idle frame at more of a 3/4 angle and the walk cycles at more of a side angle might work.  New version is looker nicer  :y:

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 10:12:01 am
having a slight 3/4 angle in side scrollers can help give the sprites more depth.  Your sprite may be too much at an angle, but I think having the idle frame at more of a 3/4 angle and the walk cycles at more of a side angle might work.  New version is looker nicer  :y:

Yeah, I think that's what I'll have to do. Will be a pain to program so it runs correctly, but oh well.

update:

New ----------------- Old

Really not a fan of the arms. Makes it look too 'human'.  Will be doing some edits.

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 03:10:18 pm
Well yeah, I hadn't realized it, but there's a whole bunch of sidescrollers that use 3/4 to some degree... I guess having it completely face to either side does make most stuff look awkward (old retro computer games come to mind :crazy:)

A way of making it seem less human would be to reduce the size of the torso in relation to the head and limbs.
Your sprite has a bigger torso than that of the reference images. When you sprite the arms, remember to make the forearms bigger than the upper part as well ;)

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 04:36:56 pm
Well yeah, I hadn't realized it, but there's a whole bunch of sidescrollers that use 3/4 to some degree... I guess having it completely face to either side does make most stuff look awkward (old retro computer games come to mind :crazy:)

A way of making it seem less human would be to reduce the size of the torso in relation to the head and limbs.
Your sprite has a bigger torso than that of the reference images. When you sprite the arms, remember to make the forearms bigger than the upper part as well ;)

Yeah. I've decided to have the sprite I did above as a standalone, whilst making one which is more side on.

Definitely need to do what you suggested. Should make a massive difference! thanks.

Will update either today/tomorrow.

Offline Amorphous

• AmorphousPixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/43158.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 03:04:00 am
This is looking pretty cool! You're right that he does currently look a little humanoid, but I think that boils down more to capturing the overall likeness of the original than anything else. For instance, your sprite has a lot straighter a stance, and the shape of the torso stays pretty similar throughout, whereas in the original it widens out as it goes lower (a pear shape, I guess). Some of the other proportions might also benefit from a little tweaking as well -- the hands/feet/claws in your version are very small, comparatively speaking, and the limbs are slimmer, too.

That said, I don't know how much you care about keeping it similar to the original. If it helps, I made an edit with a few ideas (I played with the head and colors, and in general just tried to copy your references):

I hope this helps for something! :)

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 06:01:06 pm
This is looking pretty cool! You're right that he does currently look a little humanoid, but I think that boils down more to capturing the overall likeness of the original than anything else. For instance, your sprite has a lot straighter a stance, and the shape of the torso stays pretty similar throughout, whereas in the original it widens out as it goes lower (a pear shape, I guess). Some of the other proportions might also benefit from a little tweaking as well -- the hands/feet/claws in your version are very small, comparatively speaking, and the limbs are slimmer, too.

That said, I don't know how much you care about keeping it similar to the original. If it helps, I made an edit with a few ideas (I played with the head and colors, and in general just tried to copy your references):

I hope this helps for something! :)

Damn... you just killed mine and left it to rot! Mirin' so hard.

You've done exactly what I was/am trying to do: block out the forms before I even think of clearing it up.

Gotta improve my ability in being able to capture the likeness. Yours is much better.

Will post results in a few hours/day.

Offline feathering

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 10:12:32 am
I just wanted to make a quick note since I was a fan of Digimon in my childhood... another key to preventing it from being "human-like" and more creature-like is to take note of "heavy" locations. Besides a large head, which Amorphous really nailed -- WOWEE -- the Digimon has HUGE bottom and thunder-thighs. The shoulder width is narrower by comparison.