AuthorTopic: GR#177 - Digimon - Sprite Process  (Read 18695 times)

Offline Quake

• View Profile

GR#177 - Digimon - Sprite Process

on: March 08, 2014, 07:19:37 pm
Sketch so far. Just looking for some suggestions, etc before I start to clear it up.

I think he may look too 'human-like'. Not sure if anyone else agrees.

edit head:

References used:

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 07:35:57 pm by Quake »

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Re: Digimon sprite for a sidescroller.

Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 08:49:42 pm
If it's going to be used in a sidescroller, it should be looking towards either side, right?

Currently, it has more of a 3/4 perspective...

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 08:56:54 pm
If it's going to be used in a sidescroller, it should be looking towards either side, right?

Currently, it has more of a 3/4 perspective...

I'm going for something similar to this:

I definitely think I may need to change the perspective, as you said. Thanks :)

-- edit --

Don't know if this is better: hope so.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 09:15:45 pm by Quake »

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 02:49:59 am
having a slight 3/4 angle in side scrollers can help give the sprites more depth.  Your sprite may be too much at an angle, but I think having the idle frame at more of a 3/4 angle and the walk cycles at more of a side angle might work.  New version is looker nicer  :y:

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 10:12:01 am
having a slight 3/4 angle in side scrollers can help give the sprites more depth.  Your sprite may be too much at an angle, but I think having the idle frame at more of a 3/4 angle and the walk cycles at more of a side angle might work.  New version is looker nicer  :y:

Yeah, I think that's what I'll have to do. Will be a pain to program so it runs correctly, but oh well.

update:

New ----------------- Old

Really not a fan of the arms. Makes it look too 'human'.  Will be doing some edits.

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 03:10:18 pm
Well yeah, I hadn't realized it, but there's a whole bunch of sidescrollers that use 3/4 to some degree... I guess having it completely face to either side does make most stuff look awkward (old retro computer games come to mind :crazy:)

A way of making it seem less human would be to reduce the size of the torso in relation to the head and limbs.
Your sprite has a bigger torso than that of the reference images. When you sprite the arms, remember to make the forearms bigger than the upper part as well ;)

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 04:36:56 pm
Well yeah, I hadn't realized it, but there's a whole bunch of sidescrollers that use 3/4 to some degree... I guess having it completely face to either side does make most stuff look awkward (old retro computer games come to mind :crazy:)

A way of making it seem less human would be to reduce the size of the torso in relation to the head and limbs.
Your sprite has a bigger torso than that of the reference images. When you sprite the arms, remember to make the forearms bigger than the upper part as well ;)

Yeah. I've decided to have the sprite I did above as a standalone, whilst making one which is more side on.

Definitely need to do what you suggested. Should make a massive difference! thanks.

Will update either today/tomorrow.

Offline Amorphous

• AmorphousPixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/43158.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 03:04:00 am
This is looking pretty cool! You're right that he does currently look a little humanoid, but I think that boils down more to capturing the overall likeness of the original than anything else. For instance, your sprite has a lot straighter a stance, and the shape of the torso stays pretty similar throughout, whereas in the original it widens out as it goes lower (a pear shape, I guess). Some of the other proportions might also benefit from a little tweaking as well -- the hands/feet/claws in your version are very small, comparatively speaking, and the limbs are slimmer, too.

That said, I don't know how much you care about keeping it similar to the original. If it helps, I made an edit with a few ideas (I played with the head and colors, and in general just tried to copy your references):

I hope this helps for something! :)

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 06:01:06 pm
This is looking pretty cool! You're right that he does currently look a little humanoid, but I think that boils down more to capturing the overall likeness of the original than anything else. For instance, your sprite has a lot straighter a stance, and the shape of the torso stays pretty similar throughout, whereas in the original it widens out as it goes lower (a pear shape, I guess). Some of the other proportions might also benefit from a little tweaking as well -- the hands/feet/claws in your version are very small, comparatively speaking, and the limbs are slimmer, too.

That said, I don't know how much you care about keeping it similar to the original. If it helps, I made an edit with a few ideas (I played with the head and colors, and in general just tried to copy your references):

I hope this helps for something! :)

Damn... you just killed mine and left it to rot! Mirin' so hard.

You've done exactly what I was/am trying to do: block out the forms before I even think of clearing it up.

Gotta improve my ability in being able to capture the likeness. Yours is much better.

Will post results in a few hours/day.

Offline feathering

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 10:12:32 am
I just wanted to make a quick note since I was a fan of Digimon in my childhood... another key to preventing it from being "human-like" and more creature-like is to take note of "heavy" locations. Besides a large head, which Amorphous really nailed -- WOWEE -- the Digimon has HUGE bottom and thunder-thighs. The shoulder width is narrower by comparison.

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 11:42:04 am
I just wanted to make a quick note since I was a fan of Digimon in my childhood... another key to preventing it from being "human-like" and more creature-like is to take note of "heavy" locations. Besides a large head, which Amorphous really nailed -- WOWEE -- the Digimon has HUGE bottom and thunder-thighs. The shoulder width is narrower by comparison.

Yeah, thanks. I've  tried to incorporate it into the new version:

Still not fully happy with it. I think it's much better than the original, but the legs are still bugging me.

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 01:06:01 pm
I don't think he looks to bad, except... he looks off balance atm.

If you look at the original, Tyrannomon is built from 3 approximately equally sized segments.  His head, torso, and legs are all about the same size.  His knees are bent at nearly a 90 degree angle and his feet are very large and project forward to help with his balance.
Analyze the posture on the reference more and look at the legs, arms, and feet proportions to help you get him in balance.  It doesn't have to be a perfect semblance to feel right.

You have a very yoshi-esque thing going on currently, with his big head sticking out way in front with a tiny tail to counterbalance it.
Make the legs thicker and pull the knees forward to under his chin.  Perhaps pull his head back some as it looks like he is leaning forward.
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 03:04:06 pm
I don't think he looks to bad, except... he looks off balance atm.

If you look at the original, Tyrannomon is built from 3 approximately equally sized segments.  His head, torso, and legs are all about the same size.  His knees are bent at nearly a 90 degree angle and his feet are very large and project forward to help with his balance.
Analyze the posture on the reference more and look at the legs, arms, and feet proportions to help you get him in balance.  It doesn't have to be a perfect semblance to feel right.

You have a very yoshi-esque thing going on currently, with his big head sticking out way in front with a tiny tail to counterbalance it.
Make the legs thicker and pull the knees forward to under his chin.  Perhaps pull his head back some as it looks like he is leaning forward.

I've got that critique twice! Will try and fix.

I had tried to bend his legs, but I'm struggling getting the perspective right. When I did, it looked like it was a side view.

The tiny tail is because of the angle. When I attached the one I have in the top-right corner, it looked too long.

Regardless, will take your suggestions and post the results. Thanks.

edit:

Put his head further back.

Both have edited legs/feet. Right has the longer tail. I've made the left 2 or so pixels shorter.

Hopefully I've sorted the weight distribution thing.

Which tail do people prefer? left or right?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 03:52:18 pm by Quake »

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 09:22:19 pm

He actually looks a bit tiptoed now.
Threw together a quick edit.

A1 Note the circle sizes to show how top heavy and the direction of the lean.
A2 Right track->  More linear and the circles are more balanced.
A3 Circles are nearly same size and if I drew the other circle on leg it would be balanced between two. Nose countered-balanced with tail.

B1 Line shows the lean.  I didn't show the extra line for face length because this is enough to show the lean.
B2 This guy actually looks a little MORE unbalanced because his tail is so high up.  It throws his weight more forward at his hips and makes him look tiptoed.
B3 Lines are much more balanced upward and the tail counters back heavily to keep him squared upright.

On my edit I showed thicker legs.  Meatier toes and I used your number 2 tail and just dropped it down lower and angled it back.
Your going kind of lean on this guy and he is pretty thick.  Look at the size of the references' hands and feet, too.  MEATY.
This is a fun perspective for him. Hope this helps you some.  :)

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 09:53:45 pm

He actually looks a bit tiptoed now.
Threw together a quick edit.

A1 Note the circle sizes to show how top heavy and the direction of the lean.
A2 Right track->  More linear and the circles are more balanced.
A3 Circles are nearly same size and if I drew the other circle on leg it would be balanced between two. Nose countered-balanced with tail.

B1 Line shows the lean.  I didn't show the extra line for face length because this is enough to show the lean.
B2 This guy actually looks a little MORE unbalanced because his tail is so high up.  It throws his weight more forward at his hips and makes him look tiptoed.
B3 Lines are much more balanced upward and the tail counters back heavily to keep him squared upright.

On my edit I showed thicker legs.  Meatier toes and I used your number 2 tail and just dropped it down lower and angled it back.
Your going kind of lean on this guy and he is pretty thick.  Look at the size of the references' hands and feet, too.  MEATY.
This is a fun perspective for him. Hope this helps you some.  :)

Thanks buddy. Will definitely help.

I think, however, I will go for an in between the two. He seems to have become too 'cute' :P

The weight-distribution lines help a lot though! Will help me ensure that he's won't fall over.

more reference pics I found:

Will update post tomorrow with newer version.

edit:

old - new - Johasu
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 01:39:43 pm by Quake »

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 04:12:39 pm
He looks much more balanced now.
Can we expect claws on his feet and spikes on his back soon?

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 04:18:26 pm

Yup! Check back later/tomorrow for your daily dose of Dinosaur.

But, seriously. Thanks, you and all who have replied have helped me loads.

Then, it's the fun of animating...  :-\

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 09:54:26 pm
Mmmm animation my wishful-forte ( :'( )

Anyways I don't know if you want to try to get any of the chunkiness that is in your 3d model reference. But I do know that pixels are very friendly to triangular and polygonal shaped clusters.

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 10:19:22 pm
Mmmm animation my wishful-forte ( :'( )

Anyways I don't know if you want to try to get any of the chunkiness that is in your 3d model reference. But I do know that pixels are very friendly to triangular and polygonal shaped clusters.

Glad to see others dislike it too :P

chunkiness? Do you mean create it by using triangular/polygonal clusters or by editing the lineart?

If the former, I'll definitely have a go. The latter, I'm undecided. Feels like I've spent a lot of time getting to this stage; considering I have 7-12 more to do :)

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 01:35:12 am
I was going to post about this earlier but for reasons I forgot I decided not to.
However, might as well.

I think you should push the design a bit more still, the original design has a lot stronger size variety than your sprite. :O
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 11:29:12 am

Your wish is granted.

I was going to post about this earlier but for reasons I forgot I decided not to.
However, might as well.

I think you should push the design a bit more still, the original design has a lot stronger size variety than your sprite. :O

Where in particular? His legs?

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 02:47:32 pm
I think just the size contrast between different parts. It's still pretty even between different body parts. The arms and legs are comparatively big, the upper torso is tiny (and the entire torso is slightly scrunched.)
The color regions in the sketch try to illustrate similarly sized areas + the characteristic hunched pose. :o
I'm not very good at writing advice today..
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 04:17:48 pm
I think just the size contrast between different parts. It's still pretty even between different body parts. The arms and legs are comparatively big, the upper torso is tiny (and the entire torso is slightly scrunched.)
The color regions in the sketch try to illustrate similarly sized areas + the characteristic hunched pose. :o
I'm not very good at writing advice today..

old -------- new
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 04:51:13 pm by Quake »

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 08:42:46 pm

chunkiness? Do you mean create it by using triangular/polygonal clusters or by editing the lineart?

If the former, I'll definitely have a go. The latter, I'm undecided. Feels like I've spent a lot of time getting to this stage; considering I have 7-12 more to do :)

Haha I like it what u talkin bout.

I was just thinking you could simplify your clusters in this sprite a bit and I think it would help in animating and everything else possibly.
Do whatever you like though  :) You've been making great progress.

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 09:21:40 pm

Haha I like it what u talkin bout.

I was just thinking you could simplify your clusters in this sprite a bit and I think it would help in animating and everything else possibly.
Do whatever you like though  :) You've been making great progress.

Thanks man. I'll definitely try and make it more 'clustered'. Will definitely help with animating, and readability hopefully.

Any critiques on the most recent?

Currently busy with other things, but I did a quick gif of the development...

I do laugh at the images between one, and then the one that I corrected his stance. (Thanks  Johasu!)

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 09:49:22 pm
No problem.  I practice by trying to help.

BTW you might like the idea of pulling that super harsh black outline out by putting in a darker color line.  It can reduce the flatness of an image by letting the values seem to wrap around the edges instead of hit a black border that shrinks the colors inward.
This is particularly helpful on much higher values and bright colors like your white belly, claws, and the brighter colors on his head.
Subtle changes can make a difference.  I also touched up the tail because it was bugging me a bit.  ^__^

Previous-->  Edit

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 10:21:10 pm
No problem.  I practice by trying to help.
[...]

Glad I can help :P

Definitely something I will look into. Will most definitely do on the claws.

In my impatience, I decided to start on another Digimon. Took me ~20 mins or so, and I'm pretty happy with it already. Any critiques would be great :)

For me, I'm going to call the Tyrannomon done. If anyone has anymore advice for it, however, I'll happily listen and will work on x critique.

Welcome Elecmon to the party!

Plan to do this for all:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:44:04 pm by Quake »

Offline Tapsu

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 07:59:15 am
[...] the characteristic hunched pose.[...]
I also see the same thing.

You might want to try standing hunched with shoulders forward, bend your legs, put your hips forward and tense your abdominals slightly.
How does that feel?
This is what feels characteristic to the original digimon and you seem to have missed it.
Characteristic like Einstein has characteristic hair.

Also, lizards have their legs slightly to the side and the original has them more bent (and looks like a more confident drawing that way).

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 11:40:47 am
Finally had time to work on some animations.

Any C+C would be great :)

Greatly influenced by: