AuthorTopic: Portrait for a friend Critisize needed badly :P  (Read 3020 times)

Offline BoodyA

• View Profile

Portrait for a friend Critisize needed badly :P

on: March 05, 2014, 11:56:10 pm
Ok so I went ahead and made a portrait for my friend , I started out good but then I started getting really tired so Ill admit it Iv rushed the bodies shading , but not out of tiredness , but rather out of not being aware of how to shade it , any help is much appreciated

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Re: Portrait for a friend Critisize needed badly :P

Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 12:47:52 am
That doesn't look bad ;)
Can you post the reference?

I think generally you should keep detail low in the body, because it's not the focus.
The fabric looks pillowshaded, but without seeing the ref that's hard to tell. I'd like to see simpler, clear-cut folds and shadows, and a more obvious light source.

I'm no fan of outlines either, especially the inside ones. This piece could probably do without them altogether.

Also there's a lot of banding going on. Check it!

Offline BoodyA

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 11:33:25 am
I hope my friend doesnt mind :P , but yah here is the link to his photo , and yah I noticed the pillow shading I really went out of options due to time :P

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153740581035618&set=a.10150254413285618.481781.590935617&type=1&theater

Offline Parkerbaby

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 12:48:28 pm
It's quite a difficult reference picture to use. If I were you, I would take several pictures of him and try to create a portrait that suits him rather than relying on duplicating one source image.

The problem with this one is the perspective from the way the picture was taken. His head seems to be leaning back and is smaller while his arms are forward and larger as they approach the camera.

Offline BoodyA

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 01:57:31 pm
I was trying to make the exact pose but without the leaning etc.. what Iam struggling with now is the clothes shading

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 04:27:40 pm
Be very, very careful of outlines. Often people have troubles making outlines agree with its shading/rendering

For best results see what happens if you remove them. If you're figuring out how to make shapes more distinguishable from another, the photo you have should already show you how to paint your friend because lines sort-of-not-actually exists in real life.  :)

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 05:07:17 pm
I think you should stick to the ref pose, looks like you distort anatomy by drawing him 'without the leaning': necks looks too long and/or shoulders too narrow.

Clothes: simplify! You can see that there is way less shading detail on his right arm (our left) than his left: take the hint. Also on his left arm there are clear simple shapes (triangles) that more or less follow 'natural' pixel angles: that should be easy to pixel.

Colors: the face side in shadow is bluer than the lit side (because lit by blue sky mainly): this should be an excuse for some hue shifting and a help to link the face and cloth color ramps.

Offline BoodyA

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 07:13:31 pm
Oh wait I ment leaning to the right I drew him leaning backwards but not to the right though , as for the clothing shading Iam really struggling with this it would be amazing if any one can give it a small edit just so I can see how I can do it :P