AuthorTopic: Robot character for game  (Read 4510 times)

Offline MrNormS

• Rock and Roll.
    • View Profile
    • http://vitamintwo.com

Robot character for game

on: July 24, 2006, 01:33:00 am
I'm a programmer writing a game and thought that I should try my hand at doing my own art for the first time.  This guy is the nameless "newcomer" that you play in the game.  He has almost no character and is ridiculously passive.  I wanted the minimalism in terms of colours to reflect that.  Anyway, how did I do?

« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 01:55:30 am by MrNormS »

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Re: Robot character for game

Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 02:24:17 am
Let me start by saying welcome; this is a good place to be if you want to expand your arsenal of pixellery. Let me follow that by saying you have skill; more than most, if this is your first go at pixelling. Your technique is very good, the design is cool, and you've kept it all clean and readable, even given the minuscule proportions.

That said, this looks to me more like a stuffed thing (a ragdoll, maybe?) then a robot. The colours, combined with what I read as a squishy bulge near the stomach makes it look too soft.

Here's an edit (I hope you don't mind edits...):

I changed the palette (obviously), though I used only your original grays + white. Makes it seem more like it's metallic, I think. I also made the eyes white, as it gives them, imo, the impression of being lights or something... glowing, anyhow. I got rid of the aforementioned bulge, as well, and made the body a bit more geometric. Changed the jaw, too, 'cause I get carried away like that ;D

I think the stuff I fiddled with is valid, unless the original design (soft appearance, etc) was intentional, in which case forget what I've said. Technique wise, you're good To go, as I mentioned. Good stuff, and good luck with this.

Offline MrNormS

• Rock and Roll.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 02:50:12 am
Thanks for the edit.  I like some of it but I think he needs to stay a little more organic/soft for the context.  Of course, that's not something you could predict.  Anyway, I have to say thanks. I'll probably post more as things start to develop.  I've been reading the threads and this seems like a quite helpful forum.

Offline MrNormS

• Rock and Roll.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 04:13:55 am
Alright... I fixed him up a bit.  I think this is how I want him unless, you know, I missed something tragic.  I couldn't decide whether I liked your colours better so I just did it with both.  I'll see, once I do my environments, what looks best. I might lower his head a pixel too.

Offline terminal_arcade

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 08:20:14 am
I'd still go with the white pupil/centre eye even for the yellowish one. I also liked the mouth as it was.

Offline Wayuki

• View Profile
    • Wayuki's Place

Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 02:14:53 pm
I loved the ragdoll look on your first version and I also like Tremulant's more robotic edit, but your second version seems quite bland to me. ^_^'

Offline MrNormS

• Rock and Roll.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 04:52:07 pm
I also liked the mouth as it was.
Good to see you on here.  Now I can go back and edit one of my posts where mentioned you but didn't know what to call you.  Anyway, I decided that, due to the fact that he doesn't talk, he should have no mouth.

As I mentioned earlier, I want his looks to reflect the fact that he is very passive and without character.  However, I'm thinking of giving him back his belly bulge.  Do you think that would help, Wayuki?  I'm having a little trouble deciding as it'll make him look less robotic, though that isn't really a problem as for most of the game it should be unclear what the player actually is.  Now that I think about, I probably should. 

Edit >> I figured out the whole zoom thing.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 05:27:24 pm by MrNormS »

Offline Wayuki

• View Profile
    • Wayuki's Place

Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 11:38:01 am
I think bringing back the belly bulge would help, but I personally don't like the completely featureless face at all. Even in the first version, the features are barely there, but they do add a lot in my opinion.

What I liked about the first version, is that everything about him seems a bit droopy and sad. Also, the seam over the eye kinda doubles as a tear streak. Personally, I think that fits the tragedy of being a near-featureless robotic drone.

Now that sounded emo. :P

Seriously though... I think there needs to be some sort of appeal to the character, minimalism or not.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 11:40:42 am by Wayuki »

Offline jfisher

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 03:11:52 pm
just mailed the poster but this goes out to anyone else too, this is the style i'm after for a game i'm developing, if anyone would be capable of creating something similar to this and animating it please get in touch: sundara.uk@gmail.com

apologies for the crosspost but: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=1729.new#new