AuthorTopic: Base Animation  (Read 2833 times)

Offline Southend_boi

• View Profile

Base Animation

on: March 02, 2014, 01:29:02 am

i've been working on a base for nothing special it started off as a base for a project until it was dropped so i decided to finish for fun and better my sprite/base animations. i've been working on the walk states for a bit here and there and it just looks weird to me maybe its the way it leans forward i've tried straightening the torso but then it looks to stiff

North Punches im trying to find a good stance that'll make the punch looks nice but as you can see im failing horribly well in my own eyes the animations look kinda sloppy and turning these into north and south states might be a challenge

my attempt at making a frontal stance

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Base Animation

Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 08:40:15 pm
hey dude you're at a point where you can probably benefit a lot from looking at examples of good sprite animations and just copying their timing and the way they do their archs. There's a gba sonic fighting game (sonic battle?) that has plenty of the good stuff, dunno where you can find I think they have some stuff on the pixeldigest tumblr maybe?

your frames are way way way way too slow. the times were all around 20/100, attack animations should have much faster frames.

also I introduce you to the idea of overshot. in karate and fighting in general they always tell you to punch PAST an object, because that makes the fighter put a lot more power into it, the same prnciple works for an animation! a lot of the appeal of anime is based on that, big anticipation almost no frames actually showing the action and it ends in a really really exagerated final pose (overshot) then it quickly kicks back to a normal version of the movement.

I didnt even have to draw or modify a single thing to do that in this, I just switched the poses from your last frame to your second frame and decreased the exposure of the second one.