AuthorTopic: "Sprite Chaser 2". A video game about making pixel art!  (Read 6575 times)

Offline Dave Carter

• View Profile
Hello everyone! I'm a cartoonist/video game designer. I'm also a die hard pixel art enthusiast.
The website for my latest indie game demo is up and I thought alot of the people on this board might love it!

It's called "Sprite Chaser 2"

spritechaser2.com

A video game about pixel drawing!!

It’s an adorable little adventure about a pixel art drawing penguin scraping by as a starving artist. He draws his way from town to town making friends with every piece of personalized artwork he makes. It’s a unique and well crafted indie gaming gem, that features lots of colorful characters and an interesting blend of cute, cartoony animals dealing with real world situations. Kind of like Animal Crossing meets those old school, Japanese logic games.

The game is a bit of an acquired taste for the casual gamer, but I’m hoping a lot of actual pixel artists will find it quite entertaining and enjoy the game and concept as a whole package. Despite the flaws in the chapter one demo, I find it very fresh and endearing in an odd way. It’s by no means perfect, but it does serve as a prototype for my vision.

I understand that it's kind of a "love it or hate it" game, but there is a full chapter one walkthrough and cheat guides for all the drawing puzzles. So you don't really have to understand the drawing aspect to enjoy the game, you can just cheat.

There is a tutorial on how to use the drawing engine in the "view the turorial" option in the menu before you start the game.

I hoping at least a couple of pixel artists on here will dig it. The site has some great screenshots and concept art.
If you like anything about the game, I would love to hear some comments on the site's message board.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 01:57:25 am by Dave Carter »

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Re: "Sprite Chaser 2". A video game about making pixel art!

Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 09:28:10 pm
Earthbound influence.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 10:05:51 pm
I'm really liking most of the concept art. Especially the Noah and Bijou drawing. The actual in game art isn't to my liking, the black outlines used everywhere crowd up the characters too much I think.

Offline Esker

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 10:29:13 pm
Ok 

First gripe is the amount of time it took the get the game started, I'd almost lost interest before I even started. Giving the option of being able to either skip or move onto the next page at the start would be better.

Once I'd got to the drawing stage I had very little idea on how it worked, the controls were covered at the start but there was nothing regarding the drawing part. Not eveyone is going to work it out straight away or after a few goes and I believe this is were most of the people who play it will lose complete interest in the game. I think having to cheat your way through kinda ruins it though, some explaination on how the drawing thing works is needed that's for sure.

Other than that and some pointless zooming features it was pretty decent, but I'd fix the typo right at the start "good Morking" or something.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 10:31:59 pm by Esker »

Offline Dave Carter

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 01:57:01 am
"some explaination on how the drawing thing works is needed that's for sure."

There is a tutorial on how to use the drawing engine in the "view the turorial" option in the menu before you start the game.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 02:36:42 am
Also don't use music from popular games, it just makes me want to play those games instead.

Offline Rynen10K

• ¿¡┴JeәЧ
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 07:35:48 pm
Looks like a Picross RPG...

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 02:39:46 pm
I'm surprised how good this turned out to be. I mean, in the beginnig, it's really hard to get the hang of things. There are WAY too many people to talk to, and the town is a little too big for its own good. The strange, long pauses in or between conversations also make it a little cumbersome (especially when talking to old man Elv- I mean, Dave in the phone). Once the story picks up a little the puzzle system actually connects with the story, too, which I really liked.

Just needs some new art, better level layout and... non-commercial music. I really loved the last bit, I have to admit. It kept me hooked for much longer than I expected. It was also awesome to see an RPGMaker game with exactly no battles!

Also, being a pixel artist did help in the puzzles, I could tell. It's like, sometimes you just know how a couple of pixels are meant to connect, even without looking at the numbers along the edges. Some of them were tricky, though.. Bijou took me some time, and the rose.. wasn't really a pretty rose... So that took me two tries. But.. damn, I'm impressed. I'm almost tempted to ask if there's any way I can contribute to the game!

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 03:37:05 pm
I think you should put some spaces and/or more paragraphs in your 'about the game' section, I wanted to read it.. but as soon as I saw it I just clicked the back button.
Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline Dave Carter

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 08:39:32 pm
Thanks for the great comments, Rox! :)
Yeah, the game is basically a Picross rpg! I'm a huge Picross fan!

I'm sorry that the text is so small in the "about the game" page.
I had to design the website in a small fashion because the guy that
made and hosted it for me, did it for free, so the pages had to be small and
easy for him to work with.