AuthorTopic: [WIP] bike (help with axonometric perspective)  (Read 3753 times)

Offline Âme

• View Profile

[WIP] bike (help with axonometric perspective)

on: March 02, 2014, 10:36:46 pm
recently stumbled upon some old posts about axonometric perspective and there were some quick little tutorials in them I found very helpful. I think both were by Cyangmou, one about drawing a tree and the other about some rock monster I think. Anyway, this is my shot at the method he used and so far I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right. Also, is there any simpler way to make the side view with the same proportions without redrawing the bike from the front and doing the whole flip flop thing? I have a feeling I won't be able to make each view look like they belong to the exact same object.

Am I doing everything right? It is crazy to me that with such a simple side view I can do all that. I will update later with shading, detail, etc. I'll take any input you've got! :)

Oh, before I forget, this and this are the threads I was talking about if anyone else wants to take a look.

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Re: [WIP] bike (help with axonometric perspective)

Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 09:58:46 am
I have no experience in doing what you're trying to do, but I think you are on the right track :)

The only good alternative I can think of to make sure you're getting the proportions right would be to actually make a primitive low-poly model in a 3d-modelling software like Blender, and screen-capping the perspectives you're interested in.
(you learn a thing or two about 3d modelling, and maybe even save some time! win-win :P)

Offline Âme

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 06:30:17 pm
update

started trying to shade/add texture and all that, but got frustrated and stopped. I can never get anything to look right. They look ok, but not... interesting, I guess. Any ideas for how to make things a little more realistic?

YellowLime: I downloaded Blender a few years ago and actually was messing around with it before I found those threads. You can get free downloads of models online, so as long as the camera is at the right angle, you can use it as a great reference for basically anything. I will defiantly use it to check forms and everything, but so far this draw and turn thing is a lot faster for me and allows me a lot more creativity and imagination in the moment. Do you know of anything I can work with for texture and shading?

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 08:19:57 pm
Oh, well. In my case, I think I'd do better with the 3d model approach, but to each his own :)

Do you know of anything I can work with for texture and shading?

I'm not sure I understand your question, but in any case the answer is no. Sorry! :blind:

Offline Tapsu

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 08:34:46 am
where is the intended light source?

Offline Âme

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 09:21:59 pm
The light is supposed to be coming from the upper left hand corner

Offline Tapsu

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 02:05:24 pm
I have a strange feeling that someone didn't like my previous post, maybe I should have been more verbose, trying to correct that now (because previously it seemed that a simple confirmation was all that was needed).
I have no experience in doing what you're trying to do, but I think you are on the right track :)
[...]
I have some experience in doing that, and the answer is yes.

And as for the simpler way (which seemed to be the question with secondary priority), the answer is also yes. You could rotate the side view image on the left 45 degrees and you wouldn't need those projecting lines.
The light is supposed to be coming from the upper left hand corner
Assuming that the brightest (yellow) highlights are reflections, are the reflections coming from surfaces that are on the parallel planes?
I see you have added some details that weren't there in the original side view, so for example the highlight on the thing (whatever it is called) that is covering the front wheel and the highlight on the back part of the bike, are those in surfaces on parallel planes? if they are not, then the reflection locations are inconsistent.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 02:08:56 pm by Tapsu »