AuthorTopic: GR#180 - Night Shop - Perspective  (Read 19495 times)

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Night Shop

Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 09:55:37 am
I'm more surprised about the biggest wall than the T-shape. Although I agree that the trees seem to hide the shape of the structure instead of accentuating it.

What's been confusing me, primarily, is the way the light reflects from the lantern (there is some light coming from the 2nd floor, but that seems realistic enough). My whole point about the warm and cold surfaces was that there shouldn't be any warm colours on the "cold" surface, where the light should not be able to reach. For example, the left side of all the vertical timber framing reflects a lot of light from the left, as if the light is sneaking through the walls. You could have some light shining through the windows to hit those vertical beams, but it would be limited to a very small portion of those vertical surfaces.

The only way I could make sense of the lighting on the timber framing was if it was disconnected, like THIS. But then I don't see how it connects to the second floor.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 10:08:59 am by cels »

Offline HumpRAWR

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 09:23:17 pm
So, this is a terrible edit, but here's some thoughts I had while looking through this post. What's annoying about this is that the brick texture has to be fairly side-to-side since it's pixel art, but that makes it hard to tell when the wall is flat with the camera or at some angle. The part that's being confusing looks like its flat with the camera due to the texture, and since the light from the current light source is moving through the wall, the wall must be behind what seem to be stilts holding up the roof of the porch. But farther to the right, the image establishes that the wall is inline with the stilts, which are angled with the camera and headed away from the viewer.

So I'm looking at a wall that's facing me and also angled to me depending on where in the image I look.

Truth be told, this is an amazing piece of art and you could stop working on it now if you wanted to. It would probably have the effect you want.

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 11:11:10 pm
I honestly don't know why everyone is so confused about the shape of it.  Its an amazing piece, well done.
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline tim

• Founder of Odd Tales - Art Director
    • View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 01:04:06 am
I agree, even if it has little flaws and could have more consistency in the lighting, overall the piece is working perfectly.

About composition, rather than adding "easy stuff" like fireflies, you have to think about a backstory : how do they bring water here ? maybe they have a water tank ? or a river ? If people come with horses, where do they tie their horses ? Is there a road in front of the house ? Is there a backdoor ? What is the surrounding view ? From where come the sunlight in the morning ? the evening ? Where do they stock their food ? Is there a cave ? How do they heat the place ? Fireplace ? Then they need to stock dry wood.

Think also about utility objects like a weather cock, a wheelbarrow, etc… And try to make sense ! For instance the hanging light on the tree seems too high to be reachable by a human, so they have to use a ladder to light it ? Then put the ladder near. If there are a tree, there must be some dead leaves on the ground. Dead leaves means a rake or a pitchfork nearby to gather them and reuse them ! etc etc…
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 02:53:51 am by tim »
Founder of Odd Tales
Art Director - Game Director - Game designer - Motion designer

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 07:07:51 am
I think it reads much better with the recent changes, and readability is no longer an issue.
It's ready for polish now imo. milokey's perspective edit works really well, and wouldn't be wrong to pursue, but I don't think it's necessary.
Wouldn't mind seeing some character/creature sprites added to the scene either.
Looks like it would be a great location for an old-school point and click adventure title.

Offline Tapsu

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 08:16:18 am
Yeah, it looks good but starts to look a bit funny when you start to notice how light passes through the solid brick wall but not through the windows in the wall : )

Offline DatMuffinMan

• ebogely
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/42966.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: March 01, 2014, 03:27:56 am
I think I see the problem, though I may be wrong: the roof on the top (pointier one) hangs over the wooden columns on the edges of the house, thus making it seem more like a normal roof. The roof hanging over the empty space, however, does not, which (might) make the perspective hard to visualize.

Also, you can see much less of the sides of the shingles up top than of the sides of the wooden 'logs' on the lower roof.

Offline Drazelic

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: March 01, 2014, 09:38:22 pm
Alright, here's where I'm standing now.

Milokey's revised perspective is really good, and if I were just considering starting on this piece I'd probably go with that in hindsight. However, as I worked on this, part of my goal became to try and define depth from a very, very strictly horizontal perspective, so I'm going to try and stick with that just to see if I can pull it off. To help with that, I moved the tree a bit so that I could fit in the back-half of the house, to help make the house easier to read.

I'm definitely interested in making the scene more 'real' by adding details that imply a story or a function to the design, and I put a sort of 'pulley system' behind the tree lantern for that purpose (maybe I'll make that lantern a set of multiple lanterns, because having a set of pulleys for just a single lantern seems like overkill).

Next up- figuring some character designs to put into the scene, I think.

Offline tim

• Founder of Odd Tales - Art Director
    • View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #28 on: March 02, 2014, 01:40:05 am
For people like me that didn't really see the difference,
I made a before / after of your own work :
Founder of Odd Tales
Art Director - Game Director - Game designer - Motion designer

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #29 on: March 02, 2014, 11:36:14 am
Here is another model:

I think that left part of the house should be darker, almost like the right one, cause it's much further from the lantern than it seems, and there is a tree between them.

Also what light source makes top part of the roof so bright? It looks like there is another floating light source in front of the window and above lower roof.

Last edit of the tree trunk is better, somehow it looks more natural, and now you can see what's going on on the right part of the structure.   :y: