AuthorTopic: GR#180 - Night Shop - Perspective  (Read 19685 times)

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Re: Night Shop

Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 11:42:01 pm
IMO there are still the same problems here. :( Watch cels marks where he defined "Two surfaces" with yellow and purple color. These two areas hurt my eyes,while I try to define how it all fits together, as long as the "Shop" sign. Here is quick edit, how I think it should all look.

Offline Drazelic

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 12:44:49 am
Why does everybody think there's a wall behind the crate/counter? That segment of the house is literally empty, it's like a big storage barn thing. The entire side of the house is one big wall! The wooden framework at the front isn't an empty frame, it's part of the solid wall next to it.

Maybe it's because I didn't make the front segments of the frame wide enough? Perhaps this edit will help:

Offline tim

• Founder of Odd Tales - Art Director
    • View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 01:08:15 am
I just want to say that it looks fabulous. The lighting especially. It seems like a nice place with a nice atmosphere. Awesome !
Founder of Odd Tales
Art Director - Game Director - Game designer - Motion designer

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 02:11:44 am
Why does everybody think there's a wall behind the crate/counter?

If everybody sees it, there must be something.  :)

If that area behind the counter is empty, problem is top part of the house because it looks like it's on top of the barn, not next to it. Eye is trying to justify this buy making stone wall a lot closer to the tree. Main reason for all this is trying to achieve depth without perspective.

Also here is quick sketchUp model, maybe it can be useful to you.  :)

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 02:39:19 am
I dont know for sure but I think that the big overhangy part in that model is supposed to be not an overhang at all. Think of like a halftimbered house or whatever they are called but with bricks instead of plaster. Is this correct?

Offline Drazelic

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 03:06:46 am

If that area behind the counter is empty, problem is top part of the house because it looks like it's on top of the barn, not next to it. Eye is trying to justify this buy making stone wall a lot closer to the tree. Main reason for all this is trying to achieve depth without perspective.

It /is/ on top of the storage shed, though. What's the problem with a house designed like that?

(Also, your sketchup model seems to think that the two sloped roofs on the first floor are contiguous, a presumption that seems rather difficult for me to buy considering I put trees between the roofs specifically to break up that composition so you wouldn't think it was the same roof. In fact those segments of the house are perpendicular to each other; if you looked at the house from above the shape of it would be a T, not an L.)

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 03:27:32 am
Instead of everyone trying to guess the structure of the house, perhaps you can draw a simple sketch from a different angle, so we can understand how everything fits together.

I've probably been staring at this house for 30 minutes since I first saw this thread, and I still have no idea how everything is connected. It's still like looking at an MC Escher piece. Every component looks alright separately, but my mind can't quite comprehend how the components fit together. Since everyone's a bit confused right now, it's probably best to attack this from a different angle, instead of making even more edits of the same piece without getting to the root of the problem. If you have Sketchup, that would be best. Otherwise, a simple MS Paint sketch in a 3D perspective would do the same trick.

Offline Drazelic

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 03:33:48 am

Man, is it really that difficult to visualize? If so, I really need to take this back to the drawing board and figure out how to direct the eye to better understand the layout of this.

Offline HezaKey

• *draws furiously*
    • hezakey
    • hezakey
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 06:43:21 am
Well, I did a bit of editing to the lighting, since a lot of places have light on them that in actuality are blocked by walls and other structures of the house.
And then I really got to the root of the problem in that your house has no perspective on it.  Since we're viewing the object at an angle, you need to be using 2 point perspective.

You can get away with a lot of fudging of the perspective, since an old sagging house won't have a lot of perfectly parallel planes.
Just have a couple of converging lines and it should become much more readable.

I was really lazy and didn't measure out my perspective lines at all.  Don't follow my example, shame on me.

As for the overall composition, I think a couple of small figures standing by the tree is all you would need to put a bit of interest in that space.  They don't even have to be well defined, just something interesting to find and look at over there. 

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 08:39:40 am

:huh: I Never would have guessed it. T shape and stone room on wooden pillars. :)

Maybe thing that makes me read this structure like an L and not a T shape, is strong lighting of the left door, which makes it look like it's not very far away from lantern.

Don't get me wrong, except this "optical confusion", your idea, rendering and atmosphere are really good. :y: