AuthorTopic: About my RPG game graphics  (Read 4479 times)

Offline Kich

• View Profile

About my RPG game graphics

on: February 24, 2014, 03:37:54 am
Actually I was calling it done, but I'm always open to improve my pixel arts, so, if anyone want to express thoughts about it or edit it in anyway or play ping pong with it, it's yours. ...unless you want to use it in your game. Cause in this case, it's mine. MINE. TOTALLY MINE U LISTENIN' TO ME? :D

ps.: I'm just being comical, so in case you think I'm unserious about my willing of improvement, I'm not at all. :)

Update mar/23
Guys, I'm kinda needing some advice here. First of all, are these elements matching for a RPG game? It's weird, I'm finding that the perspective is not matching, specially relative to the character and the tree. My attempt was doing 3/4 top-view (or RPG view), but right now some graphics are looking pretty platform-ish to me. I mean, isn't it supposed to look more like this?

->

It's a little frustrating, 'cause I worked real hard in both of them and now I'm considering to start over (at least the character isn't even close to be complete, due the diagonals/running~jumping~general movements/hair movement/clothes/etc). I've created a lot of frames to make the movement real smooth though. And I know, I exaggerated a lot. But now I don't even know what to delete from here, hahah. :o So I need suggestions and help in any kind.

Moreover, everything here is WIP. This is an example of a RPG-view character that I find consistent. I also figured that is real hard to find 8 directions references from this perspective, even in animated movies, games and web. Maybe a 3D game would do it, but I'm out of ideas about it right now.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 06:55:48 am by Lucas Kich »

Offline Kosvid

• View Profile

Re: Tree

Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 01:38:53 pm
Okay, comedian. Let`s find all the drawbacks!  ;D

Well. I`ve found only two things which you can improve so far. First, the top of the tree is quite flat. I understand that the leaves must be light, but they don`t have to make one entire surface. Add some dark pixels among the light ones or do it in another way.
Also I think that the branches in the core of the crown must be darker.

I tried to improve this, but I`m not sure if I really made it any better. Not my style, and the palette limitation doesn`t allow me to show myself. =) Nevertheless, I mentioned the things you can work on.

Offline hobbler_toppler

• View Profile

Re: Tree

Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 09:00:23 pm
Hello. I think your tree is very good. You are obviously a talented artist. Here's an edit I did to show how it would look with darker branches underneath the leaves, and with heavier hue shifting. I'm a big fan of hue shifting, and when I examined your colors I saw that you indeed incorporated a small hue shift from green to blue. I exxagurated it and also brightened up the lightest shade of green. This way, I feel like the image "pops" a bit more.

Also, it might be a bit too much work seeing as how the tree already looks fine as it is, but I noticed the leaves have 5 tones and the wood only has 4. If you want it to look really nice, you could add a fifth tone to the wood which would allow you to add more form to the shadowy branches underneath the leaves, while still implying that not much light is hitting them.

(edit: lost the transparency layer somehow. fixed)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 09:02:09 pm by hobbler_toppler »

Offline Kich

• View Profile

About my RPG game graphics

Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 06:52:01 am
My delay is something. Agent00X, you're quite right. I confess that right now I'm having some doubts about this design, actually. As soon as I define what I want about it I'll surely use your tips. hobbler_toppler, it's very nice. I like hue shifting as well and your edit is great. Thank you both for the help.

Guys, I'm kinda needing some advice here. First of all, are these elements matching for a RPG game? It's weird, I'm finding that the perspective is not matching, specially relative to the character and the tree. My attempt was doing 3/4 top-view (or RPG view), but right now some graphics are looking pretty platform-ish to me. I mean, isn't it supposed to look more like this?

->

It's a little frustrating, 'cause I worked real hard in both of them and now I'm considering to start over (at least the character isn't even close to be complete, due the diagonals/running~jumping~general movements/hair movement/clothes/etc). I've created a lot of frames to make the movement real smooth though. And I know, I exaggerated a lot. But now I don't even know what to delete from here, hahah. :o So I need suggestions and help in any kind.

Moreover, everything here is WIP. This is an example of a RPG-view character that I find consistent. I also figured that is real hard to find 8 directions references from this perspective, even in animated movies, games and web. Maybe a 3D game would do it, but I'm out of ideas about it right now.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 06:56:03 am by Lucas Kich »

Offline StarRaven

• Threadkiller
    • View Profile

Re: About my RPG game graphics

Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 08:27:09 am
A lot of those walk frames are virtually indistinguishable. It looks like you added all those frames just to define the boobie jiggle, and it's barely noticeable. The boobs look a little weird, to be honest. They seem to be swinging back and forth, and not moving with the character at all. Actually, I think it's that her body isn't moving at all, only her head is bobbing up and down, and the breasts are just kind of flailing all about. She is also moving her arms side-to-side instead of front-to-back.

Here's a rough edit:

Cut down to 6 frames, changed head bob to full-body movement, changed boob jiggle.
(Note: At a normal walk, there's not much boob jiggle, if she's wearing a bra. It's not until you get up to a run that they start to bounce enough to see on a sprite this size.)

I think technically the perspective on the sprite should be more of a downward view instead of a straight-on view like it is here. But I do the same thing in my sprites, because I think it gives a better view of the character, so I probably can't criticize too much. X3 That couch looks huge, though.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I really like your style. Everything is rendered beautifully, and I think the character is really cute.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 08:40:05 am by StarRaven »