AuthorTopic: Suggestion : private section of the forum for secret / WIP projects  (Read 9140 times)

Offline tim

• Founder of Odd Tales - Art Director
    • View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel
Hello Pixelation.
I'm still working on my game, and I have a lot of really exciting stuff I would REALLY like to share with you.
Unfortunately, I would also like to keep them private - just for us, not for the web.

I have an awesome parallax engine in HTML5 to showcase the game instead of poor screenshots, huge creatures sprites, dynamic lighting, a lot of interesting stuff & tech, I've even written articles for a potential devblog, but they are so WIP compared to what the final game will be that I don't want to put them here, because it will be referenced by google and people could find it once the final game is out.

Do you think a new private section of the forum could be created, so we can post confidential stuff just for registered users & not search engines ?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 05:47:00 pm by tim »
Founder of Odd Tales
Art Director - Game Director - Game designer - Motion designer

Offline Probo

• View Profile
that could be cool. although how secret would it really be if all members can see it?

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile
I think that's taking a bit over the top for what you actually want to do. If you want to make sure your content is not being indexed by search engines, you should use pastebin.com or a similar service; then post the link and don't mention the name here.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline tim

• View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel
Too bad =(
I would have loved to start a high quality, high content topic with really serious stuff inside. This is what's lacking on pixelation in my opinion : long term threads, like on TIGsource. My game thread alone would have bring a lot of life & help to the forum. I have so much stuff to explain, our animation process, our workflow for landscapes, how we make procedural characters, our parallax scenery, our particles, our AI, etc. If some serious people are interested in high-end pixel art game discussion (I mean Oddworld / Heart of Darkness quality, not a 6 months mobile game), hit me up in PM.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 06:01:54 pm by tim »
Founder of Odd Tales

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile
Well, if you really want to start a discussion, I suppose we can do something; I thought it was just a presentation of sorts. Creating a new (sub-)forum for this does seem a little overboard, though..

There you go.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 08:26:53 pm by Crow »
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline tim

• View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel
Oh thank you Crow.
I won't disappoint, give me a few days.
Founder of Odd Tales

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Creating a new (sub-)forum for this does seem a little overboard, though..

overboard... heh

puns

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile
A members only devlog forum and perhaps a coding forum are things that in the future, if there is demand, might be worth adding. Given that most people here deal with game dev and all. We have a few members, Ai springs to mind, who do some really cool code based things relating to art and have to post it in general. Maybe we might attract more helpful people with that kind of environment...

For now we'll see how this takes off. Good luck Tim, I hope it's successful, I might follow suit in a few weeks.

Offline Lanarky

• View Profile
I assume the "Top Secret" sub-forum can only be seen by members? I think it could useful for some things.

I second the devlog forum. It could be for WIPs, have sub-forums for kick-starters, and new releases that feature pixel art. I think it cut down on the amount of kick-starter topics in the General section. As for a code thread, I think there are better places for that. Like stackoverflow or html5gamedevs.

That sounds awesome tim, can't wait to see what you've accomplished so far.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 04:59:54 am by Lanarky »

Offline Vagrant

• At your service.
    • @VagrantPixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/43310.htm
    • View Profile
Hm, I wonder if I can jump on board with my own steampunk project as well?