AuthorTopic: A couple of new-ish sprites  (Read 21517 times)

Offline Judas

• Merciless
    • View Profile

Re: A couple of new-ish sprites

Reply #30 on: July 27, 2006, 11:06:12 pm

Some more changes. Mostly the broken lines that no one seems to be able to make their mind up on. At his board, people hate it to death, at others I visit people I respect like the broken lines. But, you know, whatever. Personal preference, I guess. Done away with some but not all of them, upped the contrast in the palette a little, and made some other adjustments. I may as well do what I can to branch out, alter my typical methods, etc. What about now? While I don't want to go as far as Helm took it, I'm willing to make compromises. Well, now I am. Feron I respect, so sure. Helm's "stature" is another matter entirely, however.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #31 on: July 27, 2006, 11:07:07 pm
Relax, no problem, nobody has to do anything because they were edited. I understand his opinion completely even though I disagree with it. The outcome is that I stop trying to 'help', and that's fine.

Offline Sol

• Adsolutely
    • View Profile
    • BURN DIE GO!

Reply #32 on: July 27, 2006, 11:55:47 pm
Whats the damn problem with imitating a style that one finds attractive? I mean, just because someone isnt spriting what you are accustomed too, doesnt mean that they are stuck in some kind of "artistic" rut. Thats just the direction they chose to explore.

Alot of the so called "C&C" is all opinonated, no, VERY opinionated. I keep hearing "copying off SNK/Capcom" this and that. C'mon now. Just because he isnt spriting large pics of random ducks, floating heads, 64 x 64 role playing sprites, and landscapes with trees and bodies of water doesnt mean he isnt progressing in what he does, or enjoys rather. I mean, if he so wanted to be hired by someone, which by now, I'm sure its all in fun and not for that purpose, and is a hobby, and he more than likely doesnt WANT to do other kinds of "Pixel Art", he wouldnt have too much of a problem adjusting to the world of "No limits and spriting restrictions" which I am seeing here.

You are merely reurgitating capcom and snk. If you are happy with that, fine. But this forum is ment for people who wanna grow in their medium (here obviously pixelart).
You don't develop a style by copying. In general a style is developed best by drawing from life and experimenting every now and then.

You are very good at making nice sprites - i just find you a bit rude.  Helm's edit is so fucking awesome and then you just say that you can't be bothered to change it because of your "style".  If someone of helm's stature was to edit my work, i would be honoured enough to try and match the quality of the edit. 

Your sprites are good, but if you want to improve you must go the extra mile.

Fucking wow. Most of the alterations became personal preferences. And because he doesnt "go along with", trash what HE wanted, and suck up the suggested changes, he's "rude", and the what not? Shut that shit up. Everyone here is their own person, and I'm sure Judas doesnt hold him [Helm] as some high and mighty pixel artist, with this "stature" you speak of, ptoing.

This so called idea of "improvement" is also what I find, idiotic. Maybe this is the style that he WANTS to be great at. What you guys deem as "improvement", I see as all out chaos. Alot of work I've seen ends up just being messes. No order, color limits, or anything solid. Just how much color can I splash here and there, for the sake of making this look less like it could be a game, and more about the e-dickery I can get at the forum. Dont get me wrong, alot of stuff I see here is awesome, but thats your work, and your style. Forcing it upon someone else where it isnt really needed/wanted, is faux. Some people "sprite" with the idea of actually MAKING a game, as with the tech nowadays, is extremely easy to do by oneself. With the style he's shooting at, the simpler (read, less complicated) the original sprite is, the easier it is to lets say, pump out 300 sprites of the character on. Just a thought.

Too many broken lines, I don't think they all serve a purpose. There's a difference between too lineart-dependent pixel art, and just single or two-pixel noise.

Poisture is too stylized and stiff. Nobody would draw their hands so much behind their torso. Nobody would have such stiff shoulders. You might be thinking 'game art' but I am seeing improbability. I don't know if this is a problem only with me or with others too, maybe I'm asking too much from 2d fighter sprites.

You said it.

Final word, get the sticks out of your asses.

EDIT:
Relax, no problem, nobody has to do anything because they were edited. I understand his opinion completely even though I disagree with it. The outcome is that I stop trying to 'help', and that's fine.

There we go.
単語何でも。それ?★★★★★★★★★★★[/color]
××××××
CLICK HERE

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #33 on: July 28, 2006, 12:02:24 am
On helm's last post:yes...it's honestly freaky when someone's abilities grant them some kind of undefiability in other people's minds, thankfully Helm doesnt take advantage of that, but guys be careful about idealizing people, no matter how cool they're just another guy like you.

Sol...no need to go pointlessly berserk on everyone
I think we could do better just discussing things calmly. You're doing the exact same shit you complain about only you add namecalling on top of it.You dont understand Helm's (or whoever it is you're screaming at) or his reasons, if you really are less stuck up than him then show it by being open minded and not bashing his style whitout getting it. The namecalling just puts you below any point of civilized discussion.

I think there could be a better attempt at critizising this whitout taking it completly out of style regardlesss of where it coming from, it is obviously about harsh contrast jumps generated by a harsh cenital light and clean expressive details.
But it is still no reason to attack the general populace of the board.

just keeping that in mind will make the crits much more useful, I'm sure judas would be glad to see new ideas that expand the expression tools in this style. Look at Snake's post for a good example of being open minded about the subject you critique

PS Miascugh: No this isnt the guy you think, the guy I taked about was Efex, but Judas hangs out at the same board....so I see where you're coming from :p

« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 12:06:31 am by Conceit »

Offline Sol

• Adsolutely
    • View Profile
    • BURN DIE GO!

Reply #34 on: July 28, 2006, 12:06:42 am
I dont mean to come off as "bashing his style". Like I already said, I like alot of the work here, they just dont fit the style Judas is aiming for is my point. And I'm very calm. Its hard to get the right feelins and emotion through typing on the internet, but I can assure you the post is meant as informative in another perspective (Judas' in this case), and not an angry retort.

And yes, I am a very prominent member of that forum aswell for the record.

EDIT: I see, its Camus. This is Kairi.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 12:13:01 am by Sol »
××××××
CLICK HERE

Offline omgitssyg

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: July 28, 2006, 12:13:48 am
I like aspects of both styles, and I dislike aspects of both styles.

No style has to be compromised, you can just do both.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #36 on: July 28, 2006, 12:14:02 am
Excuse stupid layerquote.

You are merely reurgitating capcom and snk. If you are happy with that, fine. But this forum is ment for people who wanna grow in their medium (here obviously pixelart).
You don't develop a style by copying. In general a style is developed best by drawing from life and experimenting every now and then.

You are very good at making nice sprites - i just find you a bit rude.  Helm's edit is so fucking awesome and then you just say that you can't be bothered to change it because of your "style".  If someone of helm's stature was to edit my work, i would be honoured enough to try and match the quality of the edit. 

Your sprites are good, but if you want to improve you must go the extra mile.

Fucking wow. Most of the alterations became personal preferences. And because he doesnt "go along with", trash what HE wanted, and suck up the suggested changes, he's "rude", and the what not? Shut that shit up. Everyone here is their own person, and I'm sure Judas doesnt hold him [Helm] as some high and mighty pixel artist, with this "stature" you speak of, ptoing.

Sol: I suggest you put on your reading glasses. You bash on me for something Feron said, wtf? Ptoing, Feron, Ptoing, Feron, sounds and reads quite different, no.
And watch what you are typing, you have no reason to be pissed about anything, noone addressed you in the first place.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #37 on: July 28, 2006, 12:14:49 am
Forcing it upon someone else where it isnt really needed/wanted, is faux.

Nobody is forcing anything on anybody. It goes without saying that all my opinions are just that, opinions. Why is there a difficulty in understanding this? I am a total relativist, seriously, I don't even consider scientific fact to be objective and binding, much less art critique. I'm just bouncing ideas here. I am not responsible for what special significance the reader attaches to my opinions in any way. My only obligation is that of a honest demeanour, meaning, I try to help by editing and critiquing.

Your attitude can be taken as confrontational, like you've got something to get off your chest that is perhaps bigger than the circumstance in question calls for. As far as it centering me, I don't mind much, but try to keep it on-topic and on-scale otherwise. I don't disagree with what you're saying, really. Everyone here will get critiqued by different people with different aspirations and life experiences and they will filter what they need through it. This is a constructive dialogue to that point. This isn't a 'fighter sprite pixel art board', I'm sure those exist, aren't you from one such? You'll find artists drawing duckies and bodies of water here, aren't their opinions interesting?

Now, somebody putting hours of editing work and writing lengthy critiques about one's pieces and not even hearing a 'thank you' for the effort, regardless of whether you agree with it, just tells me this person is ungrateful for the critique he's getting, and that has a simple end effect: I stop caring. That's fine, there'll be other people that will still care and help the person in ways they'll find more constructive, and that probably have stronger tolerances for ungratefulness than me. I've been on this board for years and years and I've critiqued and edited more than anyone else here, because of course I enjoy it, but hopefully helping a few people along the way. I just get tired fast when I don't see response to my critique. I don't really care to find out what Judas' problem with me is, as long as it doesn't affect the forum.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 12:16:22 am by Helm »

Offline Sol

• Adsolutely
    • View Profile
    • BURN DIE GO!

Reply #38 on: July 28, 2006, 12:25:26 am
You missed my point, and majority of that was more so directed at the "me too's" who posted. Now, what you missed with the second edit was that what you did, wasnt the style he aimed for, and instead for a second time, ddi extra stuff that wasnt in the criteria that was aimed for.

ptoing: No fucking duh I wasnt adressed, but gee goly wiz, I sure as hell adressed you. 

EDIT: Your right. My apologies. You werent the one with the stature" clause.

EDIT: Because ptoing also cant read as he so said I suffer from, I doubled sized, and bolded my first edit here.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 12:38:36 am by Sol »
××××××
CLICK HERE

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #39 on: July 28, 2006, 12:30:20 am
You carry on talking in Judas' behalf. If the style I went for isn't relative to what Judas is trying to do (and I understand how this can be the case) this doesn't mean you can't thank people for their effort and take it into token consideration. 'Blatantly disregarding' would insult me if I were insulted easily. I do what I know to do and maybe people will benefit, maybe I'll benefit, maybe there'll be a good discussion explaining the disparate styles. This is critique. Nobody needs this drama.

Also, please talk better, and pay more attention. You adressed Ptoing for something Feron wrote. That was the error he clearly pointed out, so your 'I wasn't adressed but I sure as hell adressed you' really makes no sense. Be sensible, calm down, state your case, we can discuss this. Don't get in your fighter stance :P