AuthorTopic: A couple of new-ish sprites  (Read 21516 times)

Offline snake

• View Profile

Re: A couple of new-ish sprites

Reply #20 on: July 26, 2006, 12:38:37 am
I tested an edit based on what pictures I could find of shoulderblades in motion:

Can't quite know if it's correct due to the shoulder halfway missing, but this what my reference told me at least.
I also made slight edit to the buttocks as it was pretty "bulgy" rather than 'in use'. They're longer and the muscles should be following the figure now. I also added a crack on the right cheek (our right) that appears when the muscle in tightened and/or the body is balancing on it as in this case.

Offline Judas

• Merciless
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: July 26, 2006, 04:02:00 am

You, sir, are the man. I guess that explains the oddness I noticed on her right cheek before. Didn't realize what it was, but now I understand why it looked so wrong without even the outlining I had before. The sad part is that I consciously thought of that and how CvS2 Chun-Li sprites have a very good example of possible shading. The back...well, I have no excuse for the back looking like it did.

Offline Judas

• Merciless
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: July 27, 2006, 12:05:47 pm
Double posts suck, but here. Have another:

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: July 27, 2006, 12:36:13 pm
oh, nobody cares about doubleposts as long as their not pointless. nice new sprite, the shading of the chest reminds me of sf3 style shading.
now there are some problems with the anatomy. it looks like the torso was pushed down between the legs; the navel here would actually be lower than the coccyx, and the ribcage seems to extend too far down too. the head's too small, and the neck is a bit short. her breasts look almost conic and somehow affixed, they need to hang more and you should leave a little gap between them.

she looks like jacko

Offline Judas

• Merciless
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: July 27, 2006, 12:57:50 pm

A little better? Maybe?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #25 on: July 27, 2006, 01:50:07 pm

I'd suggest you break out of the habit of drawing things you've seen being done in your references (other fighter sprites) and run an additional layer of judgement over them. Why would a material such as this (some sort of latex) hug abs to the degree that light would define them as they are now? I don't think it would. Chest still too low, and the breasts, where they'd fall due to gravity, would obscure the sceletal structure underneath that would create the -currently overdone- chest identation effect you've got going. You're too concerned with stylistically representing all the muscle groups you've seen in fighter sprites than you should be. Just because Capcom shows ab structure through shirts and latex doesn't mean you should, possibly.

Too many broken lines, I don't think they all serve a purpose. There's a difference between too lineart-dependent pixel art, and just single or two-pixel noise.

Poisture is too stylized and stiff. Nobody would draw their hands so much behind their torso. Nobody would have such stiff shoulders. You might be thinking 'game art' but I am seeing improbability. I don't know if this is a problem only with me or with others too, maybe I'm asking too much from 2d fighter sprites.

about thighs and legs in general, you seem to draw outside curve against inside curve, the leg is currently

( )
 x    <- knee
 ()

which isn't wrong, but it's not exciting. Try curve against line or breziers that have sharp points... google 'contrapost'.

\ )
 x       <- something like this. sorry for ascii.
 |/

Material of suit is highly reflective, SELF-reflective, the works. Consider the fabrics more. Where there's edges light creates speculars. Color-wise, you're not experimenting with hue variables and your saturation's almost constant as well. Maybe you should look into that?

The reason I'm giving you both barrels is because you're good enough to be stuck in this level forever. If you've started out with the dream of making good fighter sprites, you've done it. The next level is to break out of their cliches, I think, and to go back to medium-less design theory, anatomy, that sort of thing. Not to say your pixel tech is top of the top, but you could probably be there if you fix your linework, your highlights and work on your color selection a bit more.

Offline Judas

• Merciless
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: July 27, 2006, 07:45:06 pm

Some changes made, others...well... let's be honest, blatantly ignored for various reasons. Am I willing to be flexible? Sure. Completely compromise my style? Eh.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #27 on: July 27, 2006, 10:05:43 pm
Your stuff is certainly not bad, but i don't think you have a unique style going on.
Do you get an own style from copying KOF and SF sprites, and doing a similar style? I don't think so.
You are merely reurgitating capcom and snk. If you are happy with that, fine. But this forum is ment for people who wanna grow in their medium (here obviously pixelart).
You don't develop a style by copying. In general a style is developed best by drawing from life and experimenting every now and then.
Doing this a style will emerge automatically. Also I do not think it is a wise thing to settle down on one perticular style, one trick pony comes to mind.

Also there are some things one can say is a bad style choice, and i would agree with Helm that the broken lines are one. They just make stuff look dirty and unclear imo. Why does capcom and snk not use broken lines like that? Simple, because they made designchoices to depict their stuff in an as clear as possible way and broken lines like that and animation don't mix.

Just my two cents.

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #28 on: July 27, 2006, 10:34:17 pm
Completely compromise my style? Eh.

Suit yourself. Style is an artificial limit.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #29 on: July 27, 2006, 10:59:02 pm
You are very good at making nice sprites - i just find you a bit rude.  Helm's edit is so fucking awesome and then you just say that you can't be bothered to change it because of your "style".  If someone of helm's stature was to edit my work, i would be honoured enough to try and match the quality of the edit. 

Your sprites are good, but if you want to improve you must go the extra mile.