AuthorTopic: A couple of new-ish sprites  (Read 21534 times)

Offline Judas

• Merciless
    • View Profile

A couple of new-ish sprites

on: July 23, 2006, 07:18:27 am

One of my characters and a one of a friend's. First two back after being out of practice for far too long. Thoughts?

Also...sup? I may be familiar to some, but I'm not sure. Doubt it.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: A couple of new-ish sprites

Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 08:10:07 am
hello, welcome to the forum. Could you clarify this a bit for me:

and a one of a friend's

Why one? Do you mean the design is by a friend and the pixelling by you? All of it by a friend? Just a line-art sketch by him? If so, could you post the original reference?

Offline Judas

• Merciless
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 08:56:00 am
Persephone is a character of mine. Twofold is a character of Prime Op's. What you see, however, was all done by me. The Twofold sprite is a few weeks old, while Persephone is fresh. Any critiques/comments/whatever?

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 10:46:12 am
hey judas! i think i've heard of you before, yes. there is something about you converting kof-sprites into sf3 style or something similar in the back of my head. and i'm pretty sure camus/conceit knows more

both those are very nice. i can't really think of any real crits atm. though i'd love to see some more unconventional pallettes for this kind of sprites, or a shading style less geared towards an easy to animate one

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 11:09:09 am
I love them, the second one looks amazing. Both have interesting poses and characters with a very bright light source/ smoothly coloured style. Nice work.

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 11:15:52 pm
Well, this is looking pretty good. I do find it hard to see Twofold's right hand (our right). I assume he's doing the ninja sign, but it's blending with the white shirt. I'm also a little unsure if Persephone's shoulderblades can meet in a pose like that, but as her shoulder is dissolving, I can't really tell.

And of course: Welcome to the board.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 04:01:43 am
The chick's back looks like a butt.
>_>

These are sweet. I'm not a fighter-sprite person, so no crits form me.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 05:02:44 am
I guess my suggestion is, oddly enough: more colors, more rendering, more detail, more information, more contrast, more variation, more fries.

which arrives in the end at a different style, quite more difficult to animate, but that's another thing. Behind the color edits which you can take or leave, there's a lot of a)clothing ideas, about wrinkles, highlights hue variation, whatnot, and b) anatomy crits you might want to look at, mostly about curves, girly thighs and waists and other such concepts I like to think about when I am alone in the night.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 05:05:17 am by Helm »

Offline Judas

• Merciless
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 01:55:10 pm
Not so sure about such a drastic style change. Don't get me wrong... it looks great. It's just not what I've got in mind. Some changes have been made following your suggestions, though:

and for comparison...

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 05:11:19 pm
Yeah, I guess one buffer shade is good enough for this sort of work. But no anatomy changes? I thought those were the useful parts of my edit.