AuthorTopic: Animations for topdown Dungeon game.  (Read 10960 times)

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Re: Animations for topdown Dungeon game.

Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 12:45:22 am
Maybe he looks sneaky because his toes first touches the ground on each step, like he's tiptoeing. Maybe if you change position of feet so his heel first touches the ground you will loose this sneak effect.  :)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 08:42:30 pm
K guys first of all this project got pushed back and all of the enemy animations probably wont be used because I probably wont be the one doing them...so I wont work on this anymore but if you want to talk about this for the hell of it be my guest :p
this was the bird walk I had in mind most of the time.

it was supposed to be vulturey, but being that vultures fly I couldnt easily find videos of vultures walking...so I went for that stork that muybridge captured instead (later found some short vulture clips they hop and they balance on their chest but that doesnt matter anymore).
One thing I consciously did different from this walk is that the stork uses his neck stretching as a buildup, to get the impulse he needs before he makes a step, I moved his neck stretching back so that he stretched it at the contact frame...just because I thought that was more impressive...an also I didnt have enough frames to have two frames with feet on the ground :p

As you can see there, on the contact frame they touch the ground with the tip of their feet...like every bird that doesnt hop. it's funny how I got so into that idea of birdlike walking that I couldnt see the sneaking connection :p right now I think maybe if I went back to this what I would do is instead of leading his step with his feet I'd probably lead it with his knees and emphasize that, it's less bird-like but i think the pecking neck takes care of that :p.

but I wont..cause this got pushed back :p

Coltrane: thanks for taking the effort of doing the edit, I know that's a special level of care =) Looking at it without framestepping I dont think it looks less sneaky? I went in and framestepped it and as far as I can tell you lowered the neck when he stretches it out and you also lowered his leg in one of the frames where he streches the neck...I'm not really sure what your point is with that
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 03:28:07 am by Conceit »

Offline Coltrane

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 10:42:52 pm
I lowered the arm with the shield to make it more birdy (chickeny, vulturey, etc.), birds don't use their wings when they walk. You said you wanted him not to care about his sword, i assumed he didn't care about his shield either...
In the sneak walk (and in you walk here), when both feet touch the ground they are as far as they can from one another and the advancing leg is almost straight from hip to toe. In the edit i tried a slightly different thing : i tried to make the advancing leg less straight and poiny and more concave at the ankle (like birds knees).
In the sneak (and your walk) the head bounces a lot so i tried to minimize just little bit the bounce of your character.
As i said, it was a really rough edit... maybe a little bit too rough (even if i was going for some discrete changes), sorry.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 03:21:51 am
dude dont be sorry, I am not even working on that guy anymore...you're not failing me in any way :p
I'm only still talking about it because I enjoy talking about this stuff, thanks for clarifying what your point was and for the edit!

Offline Tapsu

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 11:25:16 am
Digitigrade walk goes toe first, the bird is digitigrade, but your creature is not.
If that matters, that is, because in my opinion the creature walks ok.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 08:29:20 pm
Digitigrade walk goes toe first, the bird is digitigrade, but your creature is not.
If that matters, that is, because in my opinion the creature walks ok.
Actually, if you look closely, it does walk digitgrade, though I guess he could accentuate that more.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 12:25:28 am
I feel it would be more horror - ish if it were a bit slower, or possibly if the head didn't jerk around so much.