AuthorTopic: GR#174 Cosmos-X game Mockup - RPG view Gameart  (Read 18726 times)

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Re: Cosmos-X game mockup

Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 08:20:47 pm
You've got the planet values right.
That purple is nice. I had Mars on my mind, the spacecraft colors might be nice for that too.

I like where the spacecraft is going, but it still has a different perspective than the station (the width = height idea, no foreshortening). You should try both options (and intermediates): it's possible that the strict station persp would make its volumes hard to read or weird, but it's worth a try, and I find it a bit too inconsistent ('normal') atm.

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 08:59:08 pm
Thanks! I'm just not sure how to draw the spaceship in the same perspective, to be honest. For one thing, almost everything on the space station is drawn in 'cubes' that have equal height and depth. But the ship consists of three vertical layers, and the side layers are not as deep as they are tall. This makes it seem like they have a different perspective, when the front of the ship actually follows the same perspective (parallell projection. Both side layers are shown as equally deep, etc)

What really confuses me is how to draw objects that aren't approximate squares, like those rocket engines. And I have no idea how to place them on the body of the ship to maintain symmetry without breaking perspective. It's hard to get a sense of depth.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 09:00:49 pm by cels »

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: March 06, 2014, 09:41:49 pm
To my eye it appears you are prioritizing the side view of the ship much more than the top.

The ship has a sort of tongue depressor shape too it, or like a Popsicle stick look to the body.
Edit:  [I actually decided to mockup this up and show better what I was trying to express.]
Yours                   Edit

I tried to show how (I think) the top should look to be in perspective with everything else but I feel like the side profile and under carriage will need work to maintain the shape you have going on.  Hope this helps you some.

Edit:  I think the logical way to solve your issue with scaling is to work in blocks to ensure uniformity.  Ratios such as 1:1, 2:1, and 4:1 are all really easy when you are working from 32x32 blocks.  You could think of your ship as half a block thick and then make it 16 pixels wide from closest edge to back. 
You have that almost perfect 45 degree view that captures 32x32 blocks top and side profile going on so I think this won't hurt anything as far as depth. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 10:12:20 pm by Johasu »
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232

Offline cels

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: March 09, 2014, 06:44:27 pm
Thanks! Working with 32 x 32 cubes is probably the way to go. So, let me see if I get this straight. If I want to draw a circle on a vertical wall with a diameter of 20 pixels, does that mean it should be 20 pixels wide and 10 pixels tall?

Here are some designs I've been working on, trying to figure this thing out.

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: March 09, 2014, 07:57:17 pm

I did a little mockup of some ideas maybe for your windows and doors.  You are doing a dark highlight on top to show shading and a light highlight on the inset windows and landings to show light, but the top down angle makes this a little odd as you probably wouldn't see the shadows from the top view.
Even if you could the color choice is really too strong.

1) The very dark line at the top is pulling the attention too strongly and it makes your window appear more straight on face to face.  It's confusing to the eye on some level that doesn't read well IMO.

2) A suggestion for how to maybe fix this by simply removing the eye boggling shadow.  Perhaps casting a darker yellow on the upper window line would work but the glass is so bright I think just leave it like this.

3) Same way for the door.  That very dark line around the top and sides is making your door appear very flat straight face on to the viewer.  I tried insinuating a deeper shadow line on the left-hand side as the door is likely deeper in than the windows.

4)  I tried a bit deeper still on the door by sliding the door over to look more inside the ship.  I'm not sure how this looks.  Just some ideas.

5)  The square windows have the same issue going on.  If we are looking from 3/4s above you wouldn't see much shadowing on the window.  The light from the window would be stronger anyway I would think from above.

???  I'm honestly not sure I follow the 20x10 on a circle concept.  I may be explaining something wrong.

with a 32 pixel block you have certain scaling options that work well.  Half of 32 is 16 so if you consider a single 32 pixel block to be 10 feet tall (by scale) 16 pixels would be 5 feet.  You can use that to set up a full scale.

32 = 10 ft
16 = 5
8  =  2.5 ft
64 = 20 ft
                 and so on

I hope this helps some.  I think a circular window will still look circular but with the top down you just take into account the depth of your inset on the bottom lip/sill/landing.
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232

Offline Alex Sinigaglia

• aka G.o.D.
    • god-of-death-alex
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 06:13:32 pm
I think there should be some kind of transition between the purple and the brown colours.

And looking closely I saw some blue pixels in the planet.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 06:17:14 pm by Alex Sinigaglia »

Offline cels

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 10:10:31 pm
@Alex: I wasn't going to keep it like that. I showed different colours, in case someone wanted to pick a favourite.

@Johasu: Thanks a lot! I don't know how I missed that. I've amended my mistake in this latest version.

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 02:09:52 am
You could probably do some crazy hue shifting on the planet rather then just go straight purple or straight orange. Best of both worlds!

Offline Kosvid

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 09:24:10 am
"Илья Муромец"  ;D

Now everything looks much refined in comparison with the first version. I liked the blue planet more, though. But the purple one is a good one, too. Try to combine these colours - I think they can make a better complex appearance. There are few discrepancies (for example, there is no way to the ship`s doors and an additional useless door near the ship`s engines), but I believe those are just WIP rough drafts, and you`ve been going to fix them.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:30:02 am by Agent00X »

Offline Alex Sinigaglia

• aka G.o.D.
    • god-of-death-alex
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: March 14, 2014, 10:14:23 am
You could probably do some crazy hue shifting on the planet rather then just go straight purple or straight orange. Best of both worlds!
That's what I wanted to say before.